The Student Room Group

How hard to get a place at top uni as postgraduate?

I received offers from Bath and Exeter universities to study business management. Most likely I will go to Bath. I would like to know how difficult it will be to get into top universities (maybe even Oxford) after I have already completed my undergraduate studies. I just don’t quite understand what criteria top universities look at before accepting a postgraduate program. I read somewhere that you need to have good grades like (2:1 - I have no idea what they mean) and then I can be accepted into top universities, from the top five. Even if I do not study at the most prestigious universities; Bath University, although it is good in business, it does not occupy high positions overall, which top universities could pay attention to.

Can someone please explain to me how this process works, and what needs to be done to go to a top university for postgraduate. What will influence this, etc.
Reply 1
I have been working for 7 years and I got a full-ride scholarship from my workplace. There are two most challenging aspects when applying to top uni. I was rejected by Imperial College London, by the way.

Above average GMAT score: I need time to study intensively, yet it was so difficult when I am working 8 to 5. I have tried to study as within my spare time but I only get an average score.

Concise and easy to digest essay: After finishing the draft, I ask about 5 people to review the essays. I would say that a well-communicated purpose fascinates the selection committee.

Hope that helps 🤓
Just check the admissions for the postgraduate degree, I did undergraduate at Nottingham where I got a first class and now doing postgraduate at Oxford
Reply 3
Original post by MorningYou
Just check the admissions for the postgraduate degree, I did undergraduate at Nottingham where I got a first class and now doing postgraduate at Oxford

Wow. You are an example that this is possible, I’m glad! Could you tell me how difficult it was to get a first class degree? How much time did you spend studying? It is clear that everything is relative, but to see the landmark. Is English your first language? Are you studying the same things at Oxford as you are at Nottingham University? Don’t consider this an interrogation, I just have too many questions, because you are a person who has followed the path that I want to follow.
Original post by ppaden
Wow. You are an example that this is possible, I’m glad! Could you tell me how difficult it was to get a first class degree? How much time did you spend studying? It is clear that everything is relative, but to see the landmark. Is English your first language? Are you studying the same things at Oxford as you are at Nottingham University? Don’t consider this an interrogation, I just have too many questions, because you are a person who has followed the path that I want to follow.

First class depends on the subject I guess, and it's hard to say how difficult it will be for your subject/uni for a first class unfortunately.

Not too much time studying in later years, I tried to make sure I kept up with lecture material.

Same department, as in computer science for undergrad and post grad.

Ya English is my first language.

Oxford has many people who do postgrad there who didn't do their undergrad there, don't let your university limit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending