The Student Room Group

I dont want to go out dueing freshers week

Hey everyone,

I like house parties i dont go out normally but
Im going to uni in spetember for history. I dont want to go out during freshers weeks to pubs or anything because i like my sleeeep.

Im going to make friends anyway because i have many interests (woo falcons)

But i have serious fomo of missing out on what could be like meeting my best friends..and freshers week only comes once! I could miss out on having brunch with my best girlies in 20 yrs cause of thisss. I know thats silly btw

What do i dooooo?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone,
Im going to uni in spetember for history. I dont want to go out during freshers weeks to pubs or anything because i like my sleeeep.
But i have serious fomo of missing out on what could be like meeting my best friends..and freshers week only comes once! I could miss out on having brunch with my best girlies in 20 yrs cause of thisss. I know thats silly btw
What do i dooooo?
literally same as you, i don't really want to go to freshers either. I just moved to a near area, new school - i'm already gonna feel overwhelmed, the last thing I want is meeting more people.
I think it's still a good idea to go, as you said - it happens one - and it might make uni life more easier, especially as you'll see more familiar faces around campus. It just sounds like such a pain to get mentally prepared for
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

Hi!

My name is Ellie and I am a 3rd year English Language and Linguistics student at the University of Sheffield. There are lots of ways to meet people and make friends at University aside from nights out during Freshers. Joining as many societies or sports teams that interest you is a great way to meet people too; I am in 2 societies at the moment. Try not to worry about missing out on nights out as there is a lot more to Uni than that, and you'll likely meet people in the same boat as you too. I know quite a few people that don't go on nights out and we still do lots of things socially together. I hope this helps and good luck for September!

Ellie 🙂
Just don't go out then. Plenty of people don't.

Also freshers week doesn't just come "once", it comes once a year. For at least 3 years.
You don't have to go out.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to, there will be plenty of people who do not drink alcohol at Uni or who do not attend parties or get involved in anything wild.

The idea of freshers is to give people a chance to meet up with other people and form a support network. You are all in the same boat- many people are far from home in a new city and need to find some space and friends. Freshers is just designed to help with this.

University is your experience- no one else's. It is entirely what you make of it.
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

Hey! I’m not sure about your university, but usually, there are events that don’t include alcohol or clubbing and don’t run too late during freshers week, and these are amazing opportunities to meet new people too! If you have a uni society app/website, it might be advertising the events on there.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

Hi there,

I would say do what you are comfortable with, you don't have to go out to pubs or anything during freshers week if you don't want to. I didn't go out during freshers week and nor did most of my flat mates instead we spent time getting to know one another and had movie nights instead. Even though I didn't go out I still made lots of friends. I found making friends at university a daunting idea but found that most people felt the same way especially after moving to a new city without people they know.

Lots of universities have socials during freshers such as quiz and bingo nights which don't run too late and can be a way to meet new people. There will be lots of activities during the day such as poster sales and petting zoos which again can be a good way to meet people. Like others have said another good way to meet new people and make new friends is by joining a sport or society. This allows you to meet new people who share the same interests as you.

Furthermore, freshers week is not a one time thing you are able to participate in freshers week every year that you are at university so if you don't want to participate this year you can always participate next year.

I hope this helps 😀
Katie - Student Ambassador
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

Hi there,

Fresher's Week is more than just house parties, drinking, and clubbing!

Most universities will have lots of events going on in that week, such as Fresher's Fair; quiz nights; the chance to join clubs and go to taster sessions; and plenty of things going on in the town/city. There will also be more academic things going on within your department, such as inductions, tours, and break-the-ice sessions.

There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people, so I wouldn't worry about this. I'd also remind you that you might not find your 'people' in the first week, as many friendship groups will change throughout your time at university, but that is perfectly normal. Friendships take time to develop, so don't be too hard on yourself!

Overall, I'd say do whatever you are most comfortable doing. If you change your mind once you get there, go to a more lively event! If not, that is okay too. You will have the chance to attend Fresher's events at each year you attend university, as well as all of the other events they will host, so you won't miss out.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

Hi there

It is normal not wanting to go to pubs or attend late night fresher's events. There is no pressure to, and it does not mean you will miss out on making friends. Fresher's week is not just about clubbing and drinking events, there are a lot of day-time events that are a great way of meeting new people. 🙂 I am sure you will meet your group of friends by going to events that you enjoy. (In fresher's week there will be an opportunity for you to have a look at all of the societies, which will be a great way for you to meet friends). 🙂

Also don't worry, as fresher's week occurs every year at University (if you choose not to go this September, there will still be plenty of chances to meet people throughout the years).

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Hey everyone,
What do i dooooo?

HI there,

Don't worry about this! As much fun as freshers can be and I really enjoyed my freshers week, this isn't usually the time that you make the most long lasting friendships at uni in my opinion.

I made my closest friends at uni through my course and these are the friendships that have lasted the longest for me at uni. In freshers week everyone wants to make friends and go out a lot, and when freshers week dies down a bit, this is when you will see who you keep meeting up with and be friends with. Even if you don't go out at all in freshers week, you will still meet the people that you are living with and your course mates so there are still lots of opportunities to make friends! You will also meet people through the people you already know - like your flat mates, so again you won't miss out by not going out in freshers week!

I would recommend joining a society if you want to make friends as this is a great way of meeting people and making friends! It's worth going to some of the freshers week events even if you don't go out as this is where you will be able to look at all of the societies that are on offer!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
You do you ! Have a self care night and invite the girls pizza and face masks and shots in the house just a small group. You don’t have to go out to have fun 😊

Quick Reply

Latest