The Student Room Group

Should I take A level German

I got a 7 on my year 11 November mocks for German, although I was two marks away from an 8. I really love learning German, but I am not as good as the other people who I know are taking A level and I am scared I will be behind. I got a 6 on my writing, and I am not very good at forming the language myself, but I am good at translating. I don't mind doing work over the holidays and plan to get a tutor to help me reach a good level, but if it's not worth it I would rather not be stressed out the whole time. Should I take German A level?
Original post by AVeryCoolPerson
I got a 7 on my year 11 November mocks for German, although I was two marks away from an 8. I really love learning German, but I am not as good as the other people who I know are taking A level and I am scared I will be behind. I got a 6 on my writing, and I am not very good at forming the language myself, but I am good at translating. I don't mind doing work over the holidays and plan to get a tutor to help me reach a good level, but if it's not worth it I would rather not be stressed out the whole time. Should I take German A level?

I personally don't do German A-Level so this might not be the most useful advice as it more general. I'd say if its a subject you really enjoy and want to do then do it. Your more likely to do well if you actually enjoy the subject since you will want to do well. I did my GCSEs last year and I got a 7 in Music which I now take for A-Level and is my best subject because I enjoy it and I find it easier to focus on since I enjoy the subject so much. I'm nowhere near the top of my class (closer to the bottom grade wise) but it just means I need to do more work outside of lessons.

If you really want to take it then I'd take it
Reply 2
Original post by AVeryCoolPerson

Hey, A-Level German student here.

I got a 9 at GCSE, however almost all teachers recommend a 7 or above so in that sense you'll be fine.
The main thing is that you really enjoy learning the language (which it sounds like you do), because it makes everything 10x more enjoyable. Personally I love learning German, and most of the time I am doing extra things like listening to German music or watching German TV without thinking, because I just want to learn more. People who are good in lessons but don't do much outside tend to get lower grades, but it sounds like you are motivated enough to want to do work outside of lessons, so you should be fine.

In terms of being behind I wouldn't worry, A-Level is a completely new style of learning to GCSE, and so everyone starts off with a clean slate.

I would consider how much effort you are willing to put in, but my advice would be to do it. German is the most highly sought after language by employers because so few people take it. I'm loving it and I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it. The writing and forming sentence skills just take practice, and I myself still struggle with that a bit, especially when new grammar points are involved.

I think it's worth it, so I would say take it but do put some thought into it.

Good luck for your exams!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending