Do we actually need bees?

Do we?
Original post by wanga_wanga
Do we?

YES WE NEED BEES LMAO - where would all the honey come from otherwise haha
Reply 2
Original post by starrybakari
YES WE NEED BEES LMAO - where would all the honey come from otherwise haha

More than honey. Where do pretty much all fruits and many vegetable and oils come from if they are not pollinated by bees?
Do we?

Where do you think honey comes from or sugar puffs. What’s the purpose of flowers and the bees to collect nectar.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Where do you think honey comes from or sugar puffs. What’s the purpose of flowers and the bees to collect nectar.

I do love the idea of someone citing the loss of Sugar Puffs as one of the main reasons why we need bees.

But yes, it's not up for debate. Even rudimentary reading will tell you that bees are vital for our ecosystem.
Original post by hotpud
More than honey. Where do pretty much all fruits and many vegetable and oils come from if they are not pollinated by bees?

other means of pollination?
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I do love the idea of someone citing the loss of Sugar Puffs as one of the main reasons why we need bees.
But yes, it's not up for debate. Even rudimentary reading will tell you that bees are vital for our ecosystem.

It may need to go beyond the rudimentary....
Reply 7
yes
Do we?

Arguably one of the most integral animals to our lives so yes
It may need to go beyond the rudimentary....

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You've at least given the impression in other threads that you value evidence based points. I wasn't aware that there was any notable expert opinion against the notion that bees our integral to our ecosystem. On that basis I'm not sure why the question is even being asked. Perhaps you can enlighten us.
1/3rd of all food is dependant on bee pollination. Another 1/3rd of food is reliant on it in some way. (I believe this mightiest be fruit/veg and products made with fruit/veg/honey but i am not 100% sure on that)
Reply 11

Pretty difficult given most of the flowers involved are evolved to be pollinated by bees or other specific insects. There are some flowers in the world who are evolved to only pollinated by one insect, bird or mammal who in turn is evolved to be able to access the nectar of that specific flower.

The idea that you can somehow artificially pollinate the billions of flowers worldwide is not even worth considering. The best we have got and happens in the US where they have whole states of monocultures is to put hundreds of hives of bees on the back of a truck and take the bees to pollinate the crops. It is bad for all involved.
Original post by flamingolover
1/3rd of all food is dependant on bee pollination. Another 1/3rd of food is reliant on it in some way. (I believe this mightiest be fruit/veg and products made with fruit/veg/honey but i am not 100% sure on that)

Yep seems two thirds are just fine without bees.
Yep seems two thirds are just fine without bees.
We would be left with 1/3rd of our current fruit and veg without bees. (1/3rd + 1/3rd=1/3rd). If you look globally the amount of food insecurity and economic impact that would have is pretty catastrophic
(edited 1 month ago)
We would be left with 1/3rd of our current fruit and veg without bees. (1/3rd + 1/3rd=1/3rd). If you look globally the amount of food insecurity and economic impact that would have is pretty catastrophic

You'll have to help me with that math, thankfully SPSS does most of my heavy lifting.
You'll have to help me with that math, thankfully SPSS does most of my heavy lifting.

1/3rd of food is DIRECTLY dependant on bees. 1/3rd of food is INDIRECTLY impacted by bees (bees still have an impact). So 1/3rd+1/3rd=2/3rd
we must protect these amazing insects. they are the, ermm, bees knees :teehee: :bee:
1/3rd of food is DIRECTLY dependant on bees. 1/3rd of food is INDIRECTLY impacted by bees (bees still have an impact). So 1/3rd+1/3rd=2/3rd

Thats not what you replied to
Thats not what you replied to

Sorry i don't understand what you mean. You said you needed help with the math so i thought id explain it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending