The Student Room Group

HKU or Bocconi?

I've got offers from both unis. BIEF at Bocconi and Bsc Econ/Econ and Finance at HKU. The offer from HKU is firm, and I also got a full tuition fee scholarship that can be renewed each year if I maintain a 3.0 CGPA. I would love to study in HK and then work in a bank either in HK or US, UK. The only reason I'm still undecided is because I'm not sure if maintaining a 3.0cgpa is doable at such a prestigious university. I'm aware that Bocconi also has good career opportunities, but Europe just seems sooo boring to me.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Each to their own. I would say Bocconi every time so it really is a very personal choice.
Reply 2
Are you talking mainly about the curriculum? I've heard that Bocconi's courses are very theoretical, unlike HKU's.
Reply 3
I’m talking about the experience as a whole. It’s a bit like comparing two works of art, a Rembrandt with an Andy Warhol. No one will say that the latter is not a chef d’œuvre but for me the former has something else. Without looking at the courses Bocconi holds a top ranked position in people’s minds , whether or not the official rankings mirror this. BUT you are going to study a course, so choose the one that interests YOU the most and fits best what YOU are looking for. Don’t let your choice be influenced by outsiders. The courses, countries and cities are very different. You will have to feel at ease, and if Italy doesn’t do it for you then don’t go there.
Original post by martin1x
I've got offers from both unis. BIEF at Bocconi and Bsc Econ/Econ and Finance at HKU. The offer from HKU is firm, and I also got a full tuition fee scholarship that can be renewed each year if I maintain a 3.0 CGPA. I would love to study in HK and then work in a bank either in HK or US, UK. The only reason I'm still undecided is because I'm not sure if maintaining a 3.0cgpa is doable at such a prestigious university. I'm aware that Bocconi also has good career opportunities, but Europe just seems sooo boring to me.
HK person here, idk about course in both uni but i can tell you how the environment is like there. HK does have lots of shops and restaurants but they became very expensive after covid. You can go almost everywhere using the public transport. But do you know the political in hk became really bad? Like the china and hk thing. Like there is no more freedom of speech in hk (e.g. you can't say bad things about the gov or police, there is also a law called national security law that is for people who disrespect the hk or china gov) If you think you are not affected by it cos you don't care about politics then you are wrong. As far as I know, many firms moved out of hk because of the political reason (they don't feel the staffs are safe anymore in hk). So if you want to stay in hk for work then i won't recommend it.
Staying in hk only for studying and ignore all the political reasons will be a good experience tho .

here is an old new about what i said;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/07/hong-kong-international-companies-reconsider-future-in-wake-of-security-law

good luck in choosing which uni to go !
Reply 5
Original post by Winni2pool
HK person here, idk about course in both uni but i can tell you how the environment is like there. HK does have lots of shops and restaurants but they became very expensive after covid. You can go almost everywhere using the public transport. But do you know the political in hk became really bad? Like the china and hk thing. Like there is no more freedom of speech in hk (e.g. you can't say bad things about the gov or police, there is also a law called national security law that is for people who disrespect the hk or china gov) If you think you are not affected by it cos you don't care about politics then you are wrong. As far as I know, many firms moved out of hk because of the political reason (they don't feel the staffs are safe anymore in hk). So if you want to stay in hk for work then i won't recommend it.
Staying in hk only for studying and ignore all the political reasons will be a good experience tho .
here is an old new about what i said;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/07/hong-kong-international-companies-reconsider-future-in-wake-of-security-law
good luck in choosing which uni to go !

Thanks for the insight mate. I'm not really a political person so I guess the security laws wouldn't affect me. But HK is to become fully a part of China in about 20 years right? It is concerning that China is already trying to treat HK like its own territory though, and so I'll reconsider working there after graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending