The Student Room Group

Am I screwed? [Further Maths AS]

i was trying to figure out why my mock results (Y1) were what they were

A - Maths
B - Computer Science
D - Further Maths (pure paper only, but thats one of my better sides for FM)

made even more confusing when i remember i only really revised for the Further maths exam because i knew it would be the important one (and i still got 2+ grades lower than the other)

i now think i know why (i think it was just general inexperience of further maths past papers but if anyone still wants to give a second opinion, feel free tho) but its made me concerned for my AS papers (because of uni applications), do i need to be?

heres where i think i stand with the individual subjects if it helps

Pure:
complex numbers, matrices and induction are somewhat easy for me most of the time (of course there are exceptions though), roots of polynomials i can do most of the time aswell if i use the better substitution method.
Vectors i sometimes can do ok and sometimes i just flat out cant lol, i am a bit slow at them no matter what though
[we havent covered induction yet]

Mechanics:
Conservation of momentum and co-efficient of restitution are mostly ok (key word mostly), impulse questions are a bit shaky but probably an easy fix, for work energy and power questions i am USELESS (like seriously)

Statistics:
expectancy/variance and the binomial/poission distributions i remebered to be ok (for the most part), only just done chi squared tables and contigency tables and so far i find it ok aswell but very long to do

ask me any questions about specifics if needed, i just want info on if im screwed or not
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JRZW
i was trying to figure out why my mock results (Y1) were what they were
A - Maths
B - Computer Science
D - Further Maths (pure paper only, but thats one of my better sides for FM)
made even more confusing when i remember i only really revised for the Further maths exam because i knew it would be the important one (and i still got 2+ grades lower than the other)
i now think i know why (i think it was just general inexperience of further maths past papers but if anyone still wants to give a second opinion, feel free tho) but its made me concerned for my AS papers (because of uni applications), do i need to be?
heres where i think i stand with the individual subjects if it helps
Pure:
complex numbers, matrices and induction are somewhat easy for me most of the time (of course there are exceptions though), roots of polynomials i can do most of the time aswell if i use the better substitution method.
Vectors i sometimes can do ok and sometimes i just flat out cant lol, i am a bit slow at them no matter what though
[we havent covered induction yet]
Mechanics:
Conservation of momentum and co-efficient of restitution are mostly ok (key word mostly), impulse questions are a bit shaky but probably an easy fix, for work energy and power questions i am USELESS (like seriously)
Statistics:
expectancy/variance and the binomial/poission distributions i remebered to be ok (for the most part), only just done chi squared tables and contigency tables and so far i find it ok aswell but very long to do
ask me any questions about specifics if needed, i just want info on if im screwed or not

What are your class tests like, did you do previous papers in the revision and have you talked to your teacher about the exam / why do you think you got a D? For most people its usually more exam question practice / work through any problems, though those are very generic comments.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
What are your class tests like, did you do previous papers in the revision and have you talked to your teacher about the exam / why do you think you got a D? For most people its usually more exam question practice / work through any problems, though those are very generic comments.

sorry for the late reply, i believe i got a D because i wasn't quick enough and some misinterpretations of questions (this probably goes in hand with the fact that i hadn't done a single past paper for practice before the mock for the entire year, stupid i know but im working on that now), i remember the teacher saying for me to work on my 4+ mark questions because i got like 4/5 1-3 mark question 100% right and then got like 1 of the 4+ mark questions 100% right, the class tests are annoying to me because they seem to put practical context in the question or in different context to what im familiar with (e.g using tennis ball motion in a vector question) rather than just telling me what i have to do plain and simple (when it is like that i can usually do it well). Hopefully this answers your questions, At this point im more confident in my own ability than i was before but im concerned about time now (less than a month until i sit AS further maths) because apparently as further maths has a big impact on uni applications (from what ive heard).
Reply 3
Original post by JRZW
sorry for the late reply, i believe i got a D because i wasn't quick enough and some misinterpretations of questions (this probably goes in hand with the fact that i hadn't done a single past paper for practice before the mock for the entire year, stupid i know but im working on that now), i remember the teacher saying for me to work on my 4+ mark questions because i got like 4/5 1-3 mark question 100% right and then got like 1 of the 4+ mark questions 100% right, the class tests are annoying to me because they seem to put practical context in the question or in different context to what im familiar with (e.g using tennis ball motion in a vector question) rather than just telling me what i have to do plain and simple (when it is like that i can usually do it well). Hopefully this answers your questions, At this point im more confident in my own ability than i was before but im concerned about time now (less than a month until i sit AS further maths) because apparently as further maths has a big impact on uni applications (from what ive heard).

Hitting past papers is better late than never, but as you say your mock results generally have an impact on your predicted grades which form part of your application. Dont think you have much option but to burn the midnight oil for the next month and for the harder/more complex questions, either discuss in class with your mates/teacher or post here.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Hitting past papers is better late than never, but as you say your mock results generally have an impact on your predicted grades which form part of your application. Dont think you have much option but to burn the midnight oil for the next month and for the harder/more complex questions, either discuss in class with your mates/teacher or post here.

ok ty for the advice, if i have any questions related to this do i ask here or make a new post?
Reply 5
Original post by JRZW
ok ty for the advice, if i have any questions related to this do i ask here or make a new post?

Generally best to make a new thread for each question so people know its "new".

Quick Reply

Latest