The Student Room Group

How to talk to distant relatives?

My cousin is coming over from Australia and we haven't seen eachother in years and he's like 4 years older than me (I'm 19f) and he's coming with his friend because they are travelling through Europe and they are both staying with us but what do I even say? I feel like it will be awkward especially with his friend like what do we talk about what do we do? What activities am I supposed to do with them or is it okay if I don't spend all my time with them and go to my room because I don't really know them? I have trouble in social situations in general because of social anxiety and I don't like change but I'm just so nervous about having to have a conversation with them I mean will they even like me? So what should I say in a conversation to make it not awkward?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My cousin is coming over from Australia and we haven't seen eachother in years and he's like 4 years older than me (I'm 19f) and he's coming with his friend because they are travelling through Europe and they are both staying with us but what do I even say? I feel like it will be awkward especially with his friend like what do we talk about what do we do? What activities am I supposed to do with them or is it okay if I don't spend all my time with them and go to my room because I don't really know them? I have trouble in social situations in general because of social anxiety and I don't like change but I'm just so nervous about having to have a conversation with them I mean will they even like me? So what should I say in a conversation to make it not awkward?

Start off with a small simple conversation like what are they doing now and like what they want to do in the future.
Original post by Anonymous

Considering they're travelling around Europe, I'm sure they'll have so many stories to tell so just ask them about those

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending