The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading University course change after accepting offer

I’ve accepted an offer at Reading University, but I’m thinking about changing the course to Law with a foundation year. I was planning on requesting this change after I’ve sat my A-levels and conducted more research on the course to decide if it’s correct for me, If I go through with the course change I’ll have it done weeks before results day. I was wondering if there’s it’s a possibility that law with foundation has vacancies, and how easy this course change is to do before I start University? Many thanks to anyone who helps, I appreciate it a lot.
The only way to answer your questions is to call Reading and ask them.

This wont in itself commit you to a course change - but you do need to do this now rather than during A levels or at Results Day, just to find out what is possible, what isnt and their advice on timing.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
The only way to answer your questions is to call Reading and ask them.
This wont in itself commit you to a course change - but you do need to do this now rather than during A levels or at Results Day, just to find out what is possible, what isnt and their advice on timing.

Thanks for the reply, I’m visiting the Uni tomorrow with a friend to look around the law department, and I’ll talk to the main office to see who I need to get into contact with perhaps
Original post by Carter03052
Thanks for the reply, I’m visiting the Uni tomorrow with a friend to look around the law department, and I’ll talk to the main office to see who I need to get into contact with perhaps

Hi @Carter03052,

Great to hear you're visiting Reading! As I'm sure staff will have told you today, I think your best point of call is to contact our admissions team about facilitating the course change - you can contact them via email at [email protected] or via telephone at +44 (0) 118 378 8372. As long as the entry requirements are similar and the course has space, I would imagine they should be able to help you switch!

If you have any questions about the process or studying at Reading, feel free to send us a message and we'll do out best to answer :smile:

Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hi @Carter03052,
Great to hear you're visiting Reading! As I'm sure staff will have told you today, I think your best point of call is to contact our admissions team about facilitating the course change - you can contact them via email at [email protected] or via telephone at +44 (0) 118 378 8372. As long as the entry requirements are similar and the course has space, I would imagine they should be able to help you switch!
If you have any questions about the process or studying at Reading, feel free to send us a message and we'll do out best to answer :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Hi Kat, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Do you know if there’s a date I have to make the decision by, or do you think I’ld still be allowed to request a course change after I’ve sat my A-Levels so that I can conduct some more research on it and make sure it’s correct for me. Many thanks for the help
Hi Kat, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Do you know if there’s a date I have to make the decision by, or do you think I’ld still be allowed to request a course change after I’ve sat my A-Levels so that I can conduct some more research on it and make sure it’s correct for me. Many thanks for the help

Hi @Carter03052 !

I totally understand why you want to do more research and wait a little bit - that seems sensible!
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure if there is a time limit. My guess would be that there isn't per se, but the longer you leave it, the less likely a possible switch will be with course spaces filling up. However, you could then choose to go through clearing if the course you are interested in switching too has spaces on there, but again, this wouldn't be guaranteed.

Your best bet, as Kat suggested, would probably be to contact the admissions team directly as they will be able to give you the best advice on how to go about this decision - as I know it's a very big one, so getting first-hand answers from the people who would be handling the switch may be most beneficial. They will talk through your options with you and be able to support you a little with figuring out what the most appropriate course of action is for you.

Hope this helps but do get in touch if you have any other questions/queries. Good luck with your A-Levels!!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 6
Hi @Carter03052 !
I totally understand why you want to do more research and wait a little bit - that seems sensible!
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure if there is a time limit. My guess would be that there isn't per se, but the longer you leave it, the less likely a possible switch will be with course spaces filling up. However, you could then choose to go through clearing if the course you are interested in switching too has spaces on there, but again, this wouldn't be guaranteed.
Your best bet, as Kat suggested, would probably be to contact the admissions team directly as they will be able to give you the best advice on how to go about this decision - as I know it's a very big one, so getting first-hand answers from the people who would be handling the switch may be most beneficial. They will talk through your options with you and be able to support you a little with figuring out what the most appropriate course of action is for you.
Hope this helps but do get in touch if you have any other questions/queries. Good luck with your A-Levels!!
Skye 🙂

Hi Skye, thanks for the reply, I don't just meet the course requirements due to my predicted grades, so I was planning to swap to Law with a foundation year, but it appears that the only course offered is Law with an International Foundation year? Does this mean the foundation course for law is only available to international students and therefore I can't do it? Thanks, I really appreciate the help
Reply 7
Hi @Carter03052 !
Skye 🙂

Hi again, just an addition on to my previous response. I’m just asking this question about international foundation years because in the fee’s section it mentioned fee’s you pay as a UK student, which made me wonder if it was available to UK students. Many thanks
Hi again, just an addition on to my previous response. I’m just asking this question about international foundation years because in the fee’s section it mentioned fee’s you pay as a UK student, which made me wonder if it was available to UK students. Many thanks

Hey @Carter03052

Great question and totally understand why that's confusing!
From what I can tell, the international foundation programme is designed for international students specifically to allow them to get the right qualifications needed to begin the standard course. There is nothing on the website that says you can't apply as a home student, but I'm not sure what the full eligibility criteria is to be offered a space and as it is designed for international students, it likely wouldn't be as relevant for you as a home student.

However, I'm not 100% sure of the details of the course itself, so it may be worth talking to the admissions department directly, using the details Kat gave, or using the ask a question function to ask about the course content and eligibility criteria. I'm sure you've already found this, but just in case, there is more information about international foundation programmes here.

Sorry this isn't too helpful. I definitely would recommend having a chat with the admissions team directly as they'll have the most up-to-date and beneficial information, and may have other suggestions of options you could take, as I don't know all the details of processes their end so can't be as informative unfortunately!

Hope this helps a little though and if you have any other questions, do ask and we can try our best to help or point you to someone who can.

Good luck!
Skye 🙂
Reply 9
Hey @Carter03052
Great question and totally understand why that's confusing!
From what I can tell, the international foundation programme is designed for international students specifically to allow them to get the right qualifications needed to begin the standard course. There is nothing on the website that says you can't apply as a home student, but I'm not sure what the full eligibility criteria is to be offered a space and as it is designed for international students, it likely wouldn't be as relevant for you as a home student.
However, I'm not 100% sure of the details of the course itself, so it may be worth talking to the admissions department directly, using the details Kat gave, or using the ask a question function to ask about the course content and eligibility criteria. I'm sure you've already found this, but just in case, there is more information about international foundation programmes here.
Sorry this isn't too helpful. I definitely would recommend having a chat with the admissions team directly as they'll have the most up-to-date and beneficial information, and may have other suggestions of options you could take, as I don't know all the details of processes their end so can't be as informative unfortunately!
Hope this helps a little though and if you have any other questions, do ask and we can try our best to help or point you to someone who can.
Good luck!
Skye 🙂

Hi, thanks for the reply, I’ve got great news. I requested a course change to the regular Law course three days ago and I received and offer and a course change on the same day! Thanks for all of your help
Hi, thanks for the reply, I’ve got great news. I requested a course change to the regular Law course three days ago and I received and offer and a course change on the same day! Thanks for all of your help

Awesome news - you're very welcome! Glad everything has worked out for you!

MA Diplomacy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending