The Student Room Group

how can i improve my grades

hello ,
within 20 days ( 2 weeks) i have my gcse exams i m seriously bad at maths and chemistry in these subjects i m i think im most likely to fail as my mock results were vey poor like i got (U) in these two subjects .but i m good at other subjects but i need to do good in these two as i have to take these subjects in AS level

i want you guys to help me out ....
Original post by mill-_-ly--
hello ,
within 20 days ( 2 weeks) i have my gcse exams i m seriously bad at maths and chemistry in these subjects i m i think im most likely to fail as my mock results were vey poor like i got (U) in these two subjects .but i m good at other subjects but i need to do good in these two as i have to take these subjects in AS level
i want you guys to help me out ....

for maths use the website called "maths genie" it is really helpful, it has all topics with grades. you can watch videos on topics that you struggle with then practice questions from there. when will finish learning most of the topics, you should do as many past papers as you can, then mark them and see how many marks you get and look for questions that you got wrong and see which topic they come from. Learn those topics again by watching video and doing practice question and make sure you understand all questions on past paper. Reattempt the questions you got wrong.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
thanks for maths
but do u have any suggestions for chemistry
hello ! for chemistry i just watched youtube video summaries on every topic (eg freesciencelessons, cognito) then do flashcards !! don’t waste time reading/making notes. if you haven’t made flashcards don’t worry - you’ll find some rly good premade decks on quizlet if you search for it.

after that just mash out pmt questions and if you’re seriously stuck on a question despite checking the answer, ask on tsr, reddit or anyone else who can help.

please have faith that you can do this. i know so many people who revised the night before and got A* - this isn’t meant to give false hope or encourage you to leave everything last minute, but rather to motivate you and reassure you that you still have enough time to make a difference in your grades, and it is not too late. you can do it!!!! pls ask if you have anymore questions
thanks for maths
but do u have any suggestions for chemistry

Sorry, chemistry is my weakest subject as well so I cannot help you much. I do try my hard but find it confusing sometimes and I really don't enjoy it sometimes. I would just recommend to watch videos from freesciencelessons then practice questions from physics and maths tutor or from cognito.
Reply 5
Original post by Harman Kaur
Sorry, chemistry is my weakest subject as well so I cannot help you much. I do try my hard but find it confusing sometimes and I really don't enjoy it sometimes. I would just recommend to watch videos from freesciencelessons then practice questions from physics and maths tutor or from cognito.

thank you
hopefully it will work
thank you
hopefully it will work

it will definitely work if you put the effort. GOOD LUCK.
Reply 7
Original post by sighhhhhhhh
hello ! for chemistry i just watched youtube video summaries on every topic (eg freesciencelessons, cognito) then do flashcards !! don’t waste time reading/making notes. if you haven’t made flashcards don’t worry - you’ll find some rly good premade decks on quizlet if you search for it.
after that just mash out pmt questions and if you’re seriously stuck on a question despite checking the answer, ask on tsr, reddit or anyone else who can help.
please have faith that you can do this. i know so many people who revised the night before and got A* - this isn’t meant to give false hope or encourage you to leave everything last minute, but rather to motivate you and reassure you that you still have enough time to make a difference in your grades, and it is not too late. you can do it!!!! pls ask if you have anymore questions

thanks for you're tips and motivation

but , when i try do some past paper it gets so confusing to me
thanks for you're tips and motivation
but , when i try do some past paper it gets so confusing to me

hey for that you can watch past paper walkthroughs on youtube where people go through each question and explain it in depth.

but also if the worst happens, just make sure you at least know the content and whatever comes up on the test you should hopefully be able to work it out from there. i know it’s very important to do practice, but for me personally i ran out of time to do that but still got good grades because i really focused on memorising all the content - i think for gcse you can get away with that. but also if you can’t do full past papers at least try to do some of the question packs for each topic - should be easier as it’ll be focused on the same thing

pls ask if anymore questions :-)
Reply 9
Original post by sighhhhhhhh
hey for that you can watch past paper walkthroughs on youtube where people go through each question and explain it in depth.
but also if the worst happens, just make sure you at least know the content and whatever comes up on the test you should hopefully be able to work it out from there. i know it’s very important to do practice, but for me personally i ran out of time to do that but still got good grades because i really focused on memorising all the content - i think for gcse you can get away with that. but also if you can’t do full past papers at least try to do some of the question packs for each topic - should be easier as it’ll be focused on the same thing
pls ask if anymore questions :-)

thank you for being supportive

In chemistry i feel like there is so many equations , test , process yet to memorise just in 15 days not to mention organic chemistry which i feel like beyond my understanding...
in past paper some of the questions i feel like out of the context
thank you for being supportive
In chemistry i feel like there is so many equations , test , process yet to memorise just in 15 days not to mention organic chemistry which i feel like beyond my understanding...
in past paper some of the questions i feel like out of the context

i understand what you mean totally - maybe it’s feeling like a lot to memorise because you’ve never seen it all fully. try just writing down all the equations in a list on a piece of paper, so you have an exact idea of how many you actually need to memorise.

also for any topics you’re struggling with, break it down into as many little subtopics as possible and colourcode it so you can pinpoint exactly which section you’re struggling with and what parts you don’t need to worry about. eg for organic, one section could be ‘alkanes’ and the next ‘alkenes’. you’ll find that you’re confident with more sections than you think.

you can let me know a specific part in organic/ anything you’re unsure about and i can tell you how i learnt it if you want.

15 days doesn’t sound like a lot to you but to me it sounds like a lifetime - i really think you could do a lot in that time if you plan your days (but don’t neglect your other subjects too!)

you said you have to take chem for AS, so i guess you’d want at least a grade 6? well you can definitely get a 6-7 even if you don’t know every detail of the content. if you seriously can’t understand something and it’s like the night before or something, just ignore it at that point and focus on making sure you understand the easier stuff at least.

i seriously hope you do amazing - i feel bad for you as i can only imagine how stressed you are right now but it’s great that you want to do well and that you’re pushing yourself instead of giving up <3

Quick Reply

Latest