The Student Room Group

GCSE help

Hello Everyone! This is my first ever post on The Student Room, and I need help. Currently, I am a year 11 going through the peak of exam time, and I am expected to get 8s and 9s. In maths I want to jump from a 6 to an 8 in the time we have left, and a 5 to a 7 in physics. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Past papers, past papers, past papers! For Physics and Maths they are the best help. You will notice patterns and repeated/similar questions, practice them, and revise them before the exam, so they become easy marks for you.
Reply 2
Original post by haleemazaira
Hello Everyone! This is my first ever post on The Student Room, and I need help. Currently, I am a year 11 going through the peak of exam time, and I am expected to get 8s and 9s. In maths I want to jump from a 6 to an 8 in the time we have left, and a 5 to a 7 in physics. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Visit and revisit the past papers, ensure you understand and correct any errors you make.
Reply 3
Hey, I got a 9 in Maths GCSE, and A* in the a level, and even though its the advice you hear a lot for maths, you just have to practice a lot to improve your grade.
I would start by doing a maths past paper in timed conditions, then marking it. Mark yourself as harshly as you can, even though its annoying, because then your examiner will never be more harsh than you. while marking, use three different colours:

one for where you have gotten it correct (e.g green)

one for where you have done a stupid mistake and gotten it wrong (e.g orange)

one for where you just didnt know how to answer the question properly. (e.g red)

if orange marks lost account to more than 5, work on slowing down, and at the end of the paper, if i had spare time, i would re-do every question (or if i didnt have enough time, only the hardest ones) as if i had never seen them before, to double check that what i had done is correct, and i didnt make stupid mistakes.

green and orange marked questions, you dont have to repeat
red marked questions, find the topics of the question, and do enough of that topic that it becomes boring. print the ones you got wrong out again and repeat the question a could days later. if you are still getting them wrong, repeat this process, until you finally get the style of questions.

GCSE maths is just a few topics, each of which are basically just duifferent variations of the same question.

Also, circle theorems are such easy marks to pick up if you can just remember them!! i made up little songs to try remember all of the key phrases.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Obsidian♡Hart
Past papers, past papers, past papers! For Physics and Maths they are the best help. You will notice patterns and repeated/similar questions, practice them, and revise them before the exam, so they become easy marks for you.

Thanks! i really appreciate it <3
Reply 5
Original post by saz345789
Hey, I got a 9 in Maths GCSE, and A* in the a level, and even though its the advice you hear a lot for maths, you just have to practice a lot to improve your grade.
I would start by doing a maths past paper in timed conditions, then marking it. Mark yourself as harshly as you can, even though its annoying, because then your examiner will never be more harsh than you. while marking, use three different colours:

one for where you just didnt know how to answer the question properly. (e.g red)

if orange marks lost account to more than 5, work on slowing down, and at the end of the paper, if i had spare time, i would re-do every question (or if i didnt have enough time, only the hardest ones) as if i had never seen them before, to double check that what i had done is correct, and i didnt make stupid mistakes.
red marked questions, find the topics of the question, and do enough of that topic that it becomes boring. print the ones you got wrong out again and repeat the question a could days later. if you are still getting them wrong, repeat this process, until you finally get the style of questions.
GCSE maths is just a few topics, each of which are basically just duifferent variations of the same question.
Also, circle theorems are such easy marks to pick up if you can just remember them!! i made up little songs to try remember all of the key phrases.

thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by saz345789

thanks! I appreciate this alot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending