The Student Room Group

Science gcse I’m currently failing I need help on revision

I could really do with some advice on revising for science. I’m doing edexcel foundation combined science at gcse. The class I’m in is top set for higher and is soo hard but I can’t move classes. In both mocks I have got a grade 2/3 with no revision but I really need a grade 4. Is it possible, I know foundation is easy but I don’t understand absolutely anything in science but my teacher is useless and I’m not very good at revision. Please could someone help give advice on how to improve my grades fast as the exams are in about 4 weeks? thankyou
Original post by Alice554
I could really do with some advice on revising for science. I’m doing edexcel foundation combined science at gcse. The class I’m in is top set for higher and is soo hard but I can’t move classes. In both mocks I have got a grade 2/3 with no revision but I really need a grade 4. Is it possible, I know foundation is easy but I don’t understand absolutely anything in science but my teacher is useless and I’m not very good at revision. Please could someone help give advice on how to improve my grades fast as the exams are in about 4 weeks? thankyou

hii!!
i do aqa combined but i'm sure they are pretty similar!!

my first big tip would be to understand the physics equation list and how to use it, because you can get so many marks with the equation sheet without even memorising anything. obviously its useful for equation questions (so you could look up physics equation questions/look on PMT), but you can also use the equations on the equation sheet to help you answer a question.
e.g using V=IR to answer a question about the effect of changing velocity/current/resistance
also, in terms of equations, learn the units that link to each equation because these will be one mark questions but you can assume there will be at least two marks, maybe more, for units which can get you up to the grade boundary!!

also, cognito is a great resource because there are short quizzes and easy to understand videos. I like to watch the video, making notes that are as concise as i can (e.g less than half an A4 page per video) and then do the quiz, as i think condensing notes really helps to understand it.

if you have seneca, that might be good (but i dont use it for science, however i know some people do)

finally, do lots of practice papers!! these will be intimidating at the start but at the beginning, you can do them using a CGP textbook, and then over time you will become more confident at answering each type of question and understand the knowledge at the same time.

i hope that helps and if you have any specific questions about anything else i'd love to help you!!
Reply 2
Original post by hbgcfxcgvhbk
hii!!
i do aqa combined but i'm sure they are pretty similar!!
my first big tip would be to understand the physics equation list and how to use it, because you can get so many marks with the equation sheet without even memorising anything. obviously its useful for equation questions (so you could look up physics equation questions/look on PMT), but you can also use the equations on the equation sheet to help you answer a question.
e.g using V=IR to answer a question about the effect of changing velocity/current/resistance
also, in terms of equations, learn the units that link to each equation because these will be one mark questions but you can assume there will be at least two marks, maybe more, for units which can get you up to the grade boundary!!
also, cognito is a great resource because there are short quizzes and easy to understand videos. I like to watch the video, making notes that are as concise as i can (e.g less than half an A4 page per video) and then do the quiz, as i think condensing notes really helps to understand it.
if you have seneca, that might be good (but i dont use it for science, however i know some people do)
finally, do lots of practice papers!! these will be intimidating at the start but at the beginning, you can do them using a CGP textbook, and then over time you will become more confident at answering each type of question and understand the knowledge at the same time.
i hope that helps and if you have any specific questions about anything else i'd love to help you!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’ve just been on cognito making flashcards I wish I knew about it earlier! Once I’ve finished flash cards which I’m trying to do quickly as I don’t have much time I’m going to start answering past paper questions hope you do well in your GCSEs I’ll reply again with any more questions. But THANK YOU I was getting so stressed about leaving it too late and not knowing how to revise but your advice is really helpful xx

Quick Reply

Latest