The Student Room Group

Confused abt counting repsirations, whats the best way??

(1st year student nurse)
One person told me to count their chest for 1 minute. Another person told me to look at them and if they look 'normal' just mark it normal.

ALSO, I count peoples resps too high supposedly?? I have a guide watch me do it, and all the time they get a lower score than me, and almost every patient I've counted gets about 20-24ish beats which is higher than normal yet their NEWS chart will always say all normal before??? I got 30 beats for this one guy who was scoring all normal before and i asked the nurse and she said it was prbly bcz he was nervous, but I worried I was doing something wrong and I know this is wrong but I was afraid of being embarassed in front of the team if I was wrong bcz I made mistakes before and I had my mentor tell me in my 3rd week they were considering failing me bcz of my performance(I wasnt initiating enough and I looked clueless) and since my guide and I always get different answers I thought I was wrong. I ended up marking it down high anyway but this creates a lot of confusion and hesitation on my end

Also I was doing GCS for someone, and I noticed their pupils were slightly different sizes, which hadn't been reported before. I kept doubting myself and felt I was wrong so I checked again and it still seemed a different size. I ended up reporting it to the nurse but I felt so unconfident and hesitant bcz I was so afraid of being wrong, I was afraid this would look bad on me if something I did caused the doctors to come and it turned out to be nothing. (during this round of GCS, I said I was confused abt the motor part, and they were like, come on this is week 5, how do you not know this already) so I was scared of looking clueless and inconveniencing people.

I have other issues with counting for a full minute, sometimes I can barely see the persons chest move because of their clothes. And often the minute gets interrupted by the patient saying something and I lose track or the patient will get nervous at me looking at their chest and they will start breathing faster & it just gets awkward.

What should I do?
Original post by Bubbasa
(1st year student nurse)
One person told me to count their chest for 1 minute. Another person told me to look at them and if they look 'normal' just mark it normal.
ALSO, I count peoples resps too high supposedly?? I have a guide watch me do it, and all the time they get a lower score than me, and almost every patient I've counted gets about 20-24ish beats which is higher than normal yet their NEWS chart will always say all normal before??? I got 30 beats for this one guy who was scoring all normal before and i asked the nurse and she said it was prbly bcz he was nervous, but I worried I was doing something wrong and I know this is wrong but I was afraid of being embarassed in front of the team if I was wrong bcz I made mistakes before and I had my mentor tell me in my 3rd week they were considering failing me bcz of my performance(I wasnt initiating enough and I looked clueless) and since my guide and I always get different answers I thought I was wrong. I ended up marking it down high anyway but this creates a lot of confusion and hesitation on my end
Also I was doing GCS for someone, and I noticed their pupils were slightly different sizes, which hadn't been reported before. I kept doubting myself and felt I was wrong so I checked again and it still seemed a different size. I ended up reporting it to the nurse but I felt so unconfident and hesitant bcz I was so afraid of being wrong, I was afraid this would look bad on me if something I did caused the doctors to come and it turned out to be nothing. (during this round of GCS, I said I was confused abt the motor part, and they were like, come on this is week 5, how do you not know this already) so I was scared of looking clueless and inconveniencing people.
I have other issues with counting for a full minute, sometimes I can barely see the persons chest move because of their clothes. And often the minute gets interrupted by the patient saying something and I lose track or the patient will get nervous at me looking at their chest and they will start breathing faster & it just gets awkward.
What should I do?

As an ex nurse & midwife a minute is a long time to count unless the patient is either asleep/sedated (I worked in theatres/recovery). Count for 20 seconds & multiply by 3 or 15 seconds & multiply by 4 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending