The Student Room Group

Meeting Uni requirements via college AND GCSE

Okay so long story short.

I do foundation math, cuz I chose too cuz I cba with Sin rule, and factorising a cubic quadtratic ( theoritcal math) In foundation I find all the math even the grade 5 math (hardest math in foundation) Is highly applicable to Real life, business and finance. I wanna do a finance degree and currently do business studies gcses too im predicted 6A or low 7 (and got this grade with zero revision).

My question is, If a uni say like UoN or UoY or UoEX asks for Gcse grade 6 in math but I get a 5, but ask for DDD at btec level and say i get DDD or even higher like D*D*D* do I still have any CHANCE AT ALL to be accepted. Im not doing stem degree so i dont think the programs will be oversubbed to? Finance is a social science so I should be okay especially with high D*D*D* and good extracurriculars? If I get one grade below in gcse e.g. 4 instead of 5 for a 5 course or 5 instead of 6 for a 6 course but My BTEC business and finance is DDD OR D*D*D* or something. Do i still have a chance at all? If i was applying to a stem Major or a tier 1 uni like oxbridge LSE UCL etc I would automatically not ask this since ik its no chance. But im trying to apply for the lower russell groups like york nottingham and exeter etc.

Do I have a chance? OR is it FUTILE
IM STRESSING!!!!
Original post by shn fler flwe
Okay so long story short.

I do foundation math, cuz I chose too cuz I cba with Sin rule, and factorising a cubic quadtratic ( theoritcal math) In foundation I find all the math even the grade 5 math (hardest math in foundation) Is highly applicable to Real life, business and finance. I wanna do a finance degree and currently do business studies gcses too im predicted 6A or low 7 (and got this grade with zero revision).

My question is, If a uni say like UoN or UoY or UoEX asks for Gcse grade 6 in math but I get a 5, but ask for DDD at btec level and say i get DDD or even higher like D*D*D* do I still have any CHANCE AT ALL to be accepted. Im not doing stem degree so i dont think the programs will be oversubbed to? Finance is a social science so I should be okay especially with high D*D*D* and good extracurriculars? If I get one grade below in gcse e.g. 4 instead of 5 for a 5 course or 5 instead of 6 for a 6 course but My BTEC business and finance is DDD OR D*D*D* or something. Do i still have a chance at all? If i was applying to a stem Major or a tier 1 uni like oxbridge LSE UCL etc I would automatically not ask this since ik its no chance. But im trying to apply for the lower russell groups like york nottingham and exeter etc.

Do I have a chance? OR is it FUTILE
IM STRESSING!!!!

Generally speaking, GCSE grades are non-negotiable. If you don't meet them you won't get an offer. Sorry.

There may occasionally be exceptions to this, but likely only for the less popular courses where unis aren't so prepared to turn candidates away.
Original post by DataVenia
Generally speaking, GCSE grades are non-negotiable. If you don't meet them you won't get an offer. Sorry.
There may occasionally be exceptions to this, but likely only for the less popular courses where unis aren't so prepared to turn candidates away.

i live in a quintile 2 postcode so im eligable for contextual offers tho

And when you checked the web page for you chosen degree course at each of your target universities, what did it say about them lowering the GCSE requirements for contextual candidates? (I ask, as I've only ever seen A level, or equivalent, grades lowered.)

That wont make any difference - GCSE requirements ae about minimum skills needed to complete the course, not 'nice to have'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending