The Student Room Group

personal mitigating circumstances form

is having a really painful period a good enough excuse for a pmc? my period is normally never painful and this time it was extremely to the point where it hurt to move and i felt very fatigued and nauseous i wasnt able to focus on my assignment. i was wondering if it would get accepted because my assignment is due and i only need like an extra day or two to complete it and dont want to be capped but obviously all girls get periods so idk if it'll be allowed
Reply 1
i also dont know how to word it so it doesnt sound like tmi
Reply 2
also this is a pmc that doesnt require evidence
Hi,

I hope you feel better soon! Each university have there own guidelines with personal mitigating circumstances. I would suggest you apply and see what they say, as the worst they could say is no. So there’s no harm in trying. I would recommend that you explain on the form the extent of your symptoms and not to worry too much about sounding TMI. They have probably already seen and heard most things on these forms and probably wont bother them.

Have you spoken to your academic tutor? They might be able to offer advice about whether, it would be accepted or not. They may also be able to help with if there’s any other extension policy’s that your uni may have, that may mean you don’t have to go through personal mitigating circumstances form.

Hope this helps!
Suzan - Student Ambassador
Reply 4
These aren't exceptional circumstances so unless you had supporting medical evidence (even though is is not actually required in this instance) I wouldn't accept. However, if this is what I call a "freebie" (some unis are now allowing students one un-evidenced PMC/EC per semester) then it won't matter.
Reply 5
Original post by cheadle
These aren't exceptional circumstances so unless you had supporting medical evidence (even though is is not actually required in this instance) I wouldn't accept. However, if this is what I call a "freebie" (some unis are now allowing students one un-evidenced PMC/EC per semester) then it won't matter.

yh my uni offers that 'freebie' but it says it needs to be for a good reason to get accepted still
Reply 6
Hi well in that case, I suggest that you frame what happened in such a way that you are not asking for an extention because you had a difficult period. It is, of course, possible that there was more than one thing wrong with you at the time and that it was the combination that resulted in you feeling too unwell to complete the asssessment on time.

Quick Reply

Latest