The Student Room Group

Access to HE Computer Science

Would like to know from others who have done the course on what its like and how intensive it is because I want to work a fulltime job while studying it
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3
Would like to know from others who have done the course on what its like and how intensive it is because I want to work a fulltime job while studying it

@shimmyjimmyfor3
Hi, I've taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years so I can give you some advice.

A lot of students do Access to HE programs in an FE college which typically involves 3 days study (A pathway typically involves 3 modules, for instance in Social Sciences it is Sociology, Criminology, and Psychology). It is effectively 3 A levels squashed into one year so it is intense. Students often struggle to work lots of hours around this, and there is a high drop out rate.

Some online programs (and also some programs in some colleges) run over 2 years instead, which is allowed within the rules of the Advanced Learner Loan - worth a google to see if you are legible.

A benefit of a college based program is that there is usually a tutorial of some kind to help you with your UCAS application for University and support your academic skills. Where I work, they have a qualified SENDco to also support people with learning difficulties. Student support quality varies between different online providers.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
bump
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3

Hello @shimmyjimmyfor3,

It's great to see you have already received a very helpful response on this topic!

Working full-time whilst studying can definitely be tricky at times, but I understand for some people it can be the only option. So I wanted to also share this guide that we put together, which focuses on strategies for balancing full-time work with studying - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z

I hope that this helps - and good luck!

Thanks, Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending