The Student Room Group

Bsc economics and politics (LSE), UCAS choices?

wondering if I want to apply for lse economics and politics, what are the possible choices? Can I apply for pure Econ for other schools? Just in terms of personal statement, what can I apply.
Just be aware that you can only write one Personal Statement - so you will need to include some subtle references to Politics and not just chat about your interest in Economics.

You might find these free Moocs useful - The Economics and Politicians - Online Course - FutureLearn and How Politics Works: From the Individual to an International Scale - FutureLearn
Reply 2
Original post by JayJeong
wondering if I want to apply for lse economics and politics, what are the possible choices? Can I apply for pure Econ for other schools? Just in terms of personal statement, what can I apply.

thank you for sharing
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Just be aware that you can only write one Personal Statement - so you will need to include some subtle references to Politics and not just chat about your interest in Economics.
You might find these free Moocs useful - The Economics and Politicians - Online Course - FutureLearn and How Politics Works: From the Individual to an International Scale - FutureLearn
thanks, I'm wondering what other majors I can apply cuz only few schools offer this course
thanks, I'm wondering what other majors I can apply cuz only few schools offer this course

PPE is the obvious one. Perhaps International Relations and Economics.
Reply 6
i applied to ucas this year to:
PPE: Oxford, Warwick, KCL
Pols+Econ: LSE, Bristol
Reply 7
Original post by gtarr
i applied to ucas this year to:
PPE: Oxford, Warwick, KCL
Pols+Econ: LSE, Bristol
thanks for sharing, but I'm not so interested in philosophy, so I'm planning to apply for Cambridge economics, will it be fine?
thanks for sharing, but I'm not so interested in philosophy, so I'm planning to apply for Cambridge economics, will it be fine?

Yes, that sounds good. What are your stats?
Note that LSE is very personal statement heavy so generally the advice is if you are applying there tailor your personal statement to the specific course there and pick your other options around the outcome.

Also note that for Oxford PPE you only need to study all 3 subjects in first year and normally students only study 2 of the 3 for the remaining years of the course.

depends what types of universities you're aiming to apply to but quite of lot of them do offer economics and politics courses! i applied for this course this year at bath, york, kings and lse. some of them have slightly different names but it's the same kind of content, for example kings calls it political economy but it's the same thing essentially. i'd suggest looking carefully at the course list for the university you want to apply to if you're thinking of specific places because they might offer that type of course, otherwise look on the ucas website etc.
if you want to apply for economics at cambridge but politics and econ at other universities, i would suggest including things about the political economy in your personal statement as it technically all counts as economics but demonstrates interest in politics too. i think that would be your best shot at making a personal statement that caters to both courses. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending