The Student Room Group

PHYSICIAN ASSOCIATE work exp

Hey, just wanted to ask what work exp unis are expecting for master's in physician associate. If I do some volunteering/online courses dyu think that would be enough? I can't get a job in healthcare rn and I don't think I will tbh as i dont want to do a HCA role. Do u think it would be worth applying to receptionist/admin roles in NHS? What dyu guys think?
Original post by esmee12
Hey, just wanted to ask what work exp unis are expecting for master's in physician associate. If I do some volunteering/online courses dyu think that would be enough? I can't get a job in healthcare rn and I don't think I will tbh as i dont want to do a HCA role. Do u think it would be worth applying to receptionist/admin roles in NHS? What dyu guys think?

No to admin roles.
You’re wanting to apply to a clinical role later, that’s the experience you need. Try volunteering in hospital, a care home or nursing home or with local authority support staff. You need exposure to patient care, even if you don’t like the idea.
yes definitely, working in a gp in an admin role helps you learn soooo much, i have just gotten in to my main choices (ccu an st georges) and i began my admin role in august 2023, and im still working there now. ive shadowed doctors, learnt so much about different types of illnesses and meds etc just from admin, i can go through blood/lab results and its great, you can apply all ur biomed knowledge into everything you. I always wanted clinical experience though and my manager was aware of my goals and ambitions when i applied (i initially just applied as work experience), so now i am admin, but am also training as a HCA (which is a lot easier in a GP, my only job will be to take bloods and do b12 shots for now until i increases my competencies and do more training) and do NHS health checks - which is also easy. defo defo get some experience, even if its admin, because it will consolidate whether you want to do the job or not. and you'll get tonnes and tonnes of advice from all the healthcare professionals around you! - and it's something to talk about in your personal statement and in interviews.
Original post by Antique1
No to admin roles.
You’re wanting to apply to a clinical role later, that’s the experience you need. Try volunteering in hospital, a care home or nursing home or with local authority support staff. You need exposure to patient care, even if you don’t like the idea.

highly disagree, u can learn so much in admin roles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending