The Student Room Group

Higher Geography Map Tips

Has anyone got any higher geography tips for the 20 mark map question in paper 2?
Thank you 😊!
Hi, I did Higher geography last year. Not doing it now though so just dug out my notes for you! I used to just structure my responses by saying advantages and disadvantages of the proposed site/development and then an overall opinion. We used the acronyms DREW and SEALLS to make sure you have considered all of the possible points to analyse. DREW is for the physical factors: Drainage, Relief, Environment, Weather and then SEALLS is for the human factors: Site, Environment, Access, Land use, Leisure facilities, Settlements. Sometimes it is just hard to find enough points for 20 marks but if you try to consider all the possible points you can do it. e.g. statements like if the land is flat or not, if there is marshland or not etc. easily gain marks. Also, I was often surprised by some of the SQA's points in the mark scheme which were more of a reach--so after some obvious points try to think outside the box and find points which are more specific to the question. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by KnittingBookworm
Hi, I did Higher geography last year. Not doing it now though so just dug out my notes for you! I used to just structure my responses by saying advantages and disadvantages of the proposed site/development and then an overall opinion. We used the acronyms DREW and SEALLS to make sure you have considered all of the possible points to analyse. DREW is for the physical factors: Drainage, Relief, Environment, Weather and then SEALLS is for the human factors: Site, Environment, Access, Land use, Leisure facilities, Settlements. Sometimes it is just hard to find enough points for 20 marks but if you try to consider all the possible points you can do it. e.g. statements like if the land is flat or not, if there is marshland or not etc. easily gain marks. Also, I was often surprised by some of the SQA's points in the mark scheme which were more of a reach--so after some obvious points try to think outside the box and find points which are more specific to the question. Hope this helps and good luck!
Yeah, I have been struggling to think of enough points because 20 marks is a lot. Thank you for your tips and advice!
No problem, I'd also say the mark schemes can tell you a lot, so try remembering some of the points from them that will be applicable to different situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending