The Student Room Group

Enhancing my Personal Statement for Mechanical Engineering

Someone close to me recently suggested I look into Mechanical Engineering, and the course sounds very interesting - picking up on skills I have in Computer Science (from GCSE) and of course Maths and Physics. I didn't however take these subjects for A-Level, so will have to take a foundation year. I just don't know what I should put on my personal statement, I have started a Spring Pod (online work experience) course, and have been brainstorming TV shows and reading Engineering News but apart from that I don't have previous evidence in interest in it at all, I literally just changed my mind from taking Economics (one of my A-Levels) to Mechanical Engineering because I do not enjoy Economics.
Reply 1
Original post by David5027389586
Someone close to me recently suggested I look into Mechanical Engineering, and the course sounds very interesting - picking up on skills I have in Computer Science (from GCSE) and of course Maths and Physics. I didn't however take these subjects for A-Level, so will have to take a foundation year. I just don't know what I should put on my personal statement, I have started a Spring Pod (online work experience) course, and have been brainstorming TV shows and reading Engineering News but apart from that I don't have previous evidence in interest in it at all, I literally just changed my mind from taking Economics (one of my A-Levels) to Mechanical Engineering because I do not enjoy Economics.

you could try doing a project if possible e.g. taking a part something or getting like a robotics kit

work experince is a good way to go, if you can get irl on that would be good but online is still good too

you can link problem solving skills to engineering so you can talk about like a problem you faced and how you went about solving it

Quick Reply