The Student Room Group

How many people in a flat in uni accomodation is too many?

Hi guys,
I'm looking at accommodation for first year starting in September and the one I like the look of most at the moment is duplex and has 9 people living in a flat. I'm worried that I will become overwhelmed having so many people around all the time or that the kitchen and living space will become very messy. Other accommodation I am looking at has only 5 people in a flat. Do you think it matters? Is 9 people too many, should I opt for a smaller flat?
Reply 1
Original post by anonymous74476
Hi guys,
I'm looking at accommodation for first year starting in September and the one I like the look of most at the moment is duplex and has 9 people living in a flat. I'm worried that I will become overwhelmed having so many people around all the time or that the kitchen and living space will become very messy. Other accommodation I am looking at has only 5 people in a flat. Do you think it matters? Is 9 people too many, should I opt for a smaller flat?

It all depends on you; usually speaking, I too don't want to live in such a crowded place, but you have a lot of options.
Hi guys,

Hello!
In my first year I lived in a house of 12! I loved it we all cook, ate and hung out together. Lancaster is great in that the townhouses on campus have a large living and dining area so we were all able to hang out together in the evening and watch movies. I won't lie it did get messy at times but we were all very good at having big tidy ups every so often (at least once a week). So I think as long as you are able to tolerate some mess and are everyone is able to come together to clean I think having a large flat can be a lovely experience!

Hope this helps,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi there 👋,

I currently live in student accommodation and there are 9 girls! As long as everyone allocates themselves 'jobs' to do for the flat, having 8-9 students living together can be a lot of fun. Some 'jobs' my flatmates and I allocated to each other were:

Cleaning the floors x3 weekly

Cleaning the sides down (including the oven and microwave) x3 weekly

Emptying the bins x3 weekly

By having these in place, the communal space is tidy, as long as everyone else does the basics daily such as washing up their stuff, wiping the sides down if they make a mess, etc. Another tip, is if you move into a space with a communal kitchen, have a 'flat' group chat, this way if there is any problems you can communicate it effectively to the group.

Sharing a space with a large amount of people can be fun, however, it is about finding ways that keep the communal spaces clean and tidy as well as your own space.

Hope this helps.
Hannah - 1st Year Mental Health Nursing Student
WrexhamUniReps
Hi guys,

Hey there! Choosing uni accommodation is a HUGE decision, so it's totally normal to be freaking out a bit.

So, 9 flatmates—that's a party! But it could also potentially cause a lot of people to trip over in the morning.

If you're worried about the party atmosphere, try to find out more about the flat itself. Does it have separate bathrooms? Is the common room the size of a postage stamp? Some properties even have flatmate matching services, which could be a lifesaver. Maybe you can even track down some current residents and get the inside scoop!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending