The Student Room Group

Practical endorsement & not sitting my A-levels this year

To keep it as short as possible, I was homeschooled for a while, and im in year 13 now. I do A-levels in Maths, Bio amd Chemistry. I have decided since last month that I will not sit my exams this year, but instead next year. It definitely was a devastating decision, especially since this may decrease my chances of getting into the course I want to study, as unis prefer A levels to be completed across 2 years max. But I thought it through, and this decision was needed for personal reasons.

I have completed my practical endorsement for chem and bio in January, and I will mention that it was quite expensive. If I do not sit my A-level exams this year, but instead next year, do I need to do my practicals again??! The practicals I have done, can be completed in year 12 OR year 13. It doesn't matter. Hence, logically speaking, I dont think I will have to do my practicals again, but im worried and overthinking it. The centre where I did my practicals at usually respond to emails after 2 weeks, hence I was wondering if anyone can give me an answer directly here.

Also, if anyone is also taking a gap/ year or is in a similar situation, it would be nice to connect :smile: im trying to get into medicine, but being realistic now, I honestly dont mind any science subject, as I know my chances are now lowered further. But lets seeee :/
Original post by Annalena_dewannn
To keep it as short as possible, I was homeschooled for a while, and im in year 13 now. I do A-levels in Maths, Bio amd Chemistry. I have decided since last month that I will not sit my exams this year, but instead next year. It definitely was a devastating decision, especially since this may decrease my chances of getting into the course I want to study, as unis prefer A levels to be completed across 2 years max. But I thought it through, and this decision was needed for personal reasons.

I have completed my practical endorsement for chem and bio in January, and I will mention that it was quite expensive. If I do not sit my A-level exams this year, but instead next year, do I need to do my practicals again??! The practicals I have done, can be completed in year 12 OR year 13. It doesn't matter. Hence, logically speaking, I dont think I will have to do my practicals again, but im worried and overthinking it. The centre where I did my practicals at usually respond to emails after 2 weeks, hence I was wondering if anyone can give me an answer directly here.

Also, if anyone is also taking a gap/ year or is in a similar situation, it would be nice to connect :smile: im trying to get into medicine, but being realistic now, I honestly dont mind any science subject, as I know my chances are now lowered further. But lets seeee :/

The Joint Centre for Qualifications (which covers all the exam boards) make it clear that you can carry forward your practical endorsements, but only if you actually receive a grade (even a U) for the qualification itself - i.e. the A levels which you won't now be taking.

See this document, and the extract below (with emphasis added by me) for confirmation:

"Re-use (carry forward) of practical skills grades

A candidate who is re-taking an A level Biology, Chemistry, Geology or Physics qualification may request to carry forward (i.e. transfer into a new entry) a previous grade for the practical skills endorsement, even if it was awarded by a different awarding body.

If a candidate has two or more previous endorsement grades, the most recent grade will be used even if this is Not Classified.

If a candidate re-takes the endorsement and a new grade is submitted, the new grade will be used.

An endorsement grade can only be carried forward where a grade, including Unclassified, has been awarded for the A level qualification."

Now, the above is about the re-use of a practical endorsement, which isn't quite what you're trying to do. You're trying to delay the use of a practical endorsement by a year. I can no specific guidance on the viability of that, which means you might just have to wait the two weeks for your exam centre to respond. :frown:
Many Unis do not require the practical endorsement, even for STEM subjects.
Email each of your intended Unis and check,
Original post by DataVenia
The Joint Centre for Qualifications (which covers all the exam boards) make it clear that you can carry forward your practical endorsements, but only if you actually receive a grade (even a U) for the qualification itself - i.e. the A levels which you won't now be taking.
See this document, and the extract below (with emphasis added by me) for confirmation:
"Re-use (carry forward) of practical skills grades
A candidate who is re-taking an A level Biology, Chemistry, Geology or Physics qualification may request to carry forward (i.e. transfer into a new entry) a previous grade for the practical skills endorsement, even if it was awarded by a different awarding body.
If a candidate has two or more previous endorsement grades, the most recent grade will be used even if this is Not Classified.
If a candidate re-takes the endorsement and a new grade is submitted, the new grade will be used.
An endorsement grade can only be carried forward where a grade, including Unclassified, has been awarded for the A level qualification."
Now, the above is about the re-use of a practical endorsement, which isn't quite what you're trying to do. You're trying to delay the use of a practical endorsement by a year. I can no specific guidance on the viability of that, which means you might just have to wait the two weeks for your exam centre to respond. :frown:

Thank you so much for this info!
Yes, Ill have to wait to see what they say 😕
Original post by McGinger
Many Unis do not require the practical endorsement, even for STEM subjects.
Email each of your intended Unis and check,

Im 100% sure that I do. For medicine- definitely. For other degrees that im intrested in, for most unis I need them.

Quick Reply

Latest