The Student Room Group

riddled with crippling anxiety

this has been going on for a while - defo long term. it’s gone beyond just ‘oh i’m a little nervous about a test tomorrow’ to me dreading going out and seeing people or going to school or taking exams or trying anything new. the anxiety is awful. it’s gotten way worse than my depression which i never thought would happen. it’s a horrible bubbling unsettling feeling in my stomach constantly that i can’t seem to shake. always feeling like i’m going to throw up, always having people comment on how clammy my hands are. when i sleep it’s there when i go to school it’s there when i think about my future it’s there.

it stops me from doing the things i want to do, hence me calling it crippling.

i don’t want therapy or meds. just any practical or islamic advice please
Reply 1
i can help with the islamic advice here are some points sorry for number mix up
6. All human beings experience sorrow and hardship in their lives, so you have something in common with people who came before you and your contemporaries. People do not feel severe grief or anxiety when they share it with other people. Because when they have other examples like them, their pain may decrease.
7. If you have a problem to worry about, you should remember that as long as you are alive you can have a bigger problem in the future so you should learn lessons from the smaller issues and if they protect you from making bigger mistakes, then they will become gifts to be thankful for.
8. If you have a terrible time, problems, feel anxious or sad, you should think of all those good things you have, including your own life and soul. You cannot regain what you lost, but you can access what is left. If you are tested with deep sorrow in your life, you should think of it frequently and think of something that makes you happy and thankful afterward, and this way, you can get over it.
9. You should remember that there will surely be good days and gifts to comfort you after all the bad days. The most challenging moment is the moment you are experiencing hardship, and every moment comes after that will be more comfortable.
Ebû Zeyd el-Belhî listed these nine suggestions and stated that we should refer to them when we feel distressed, anxious, or face struggles, and they may help us to get rid of them.
Original post by Anonymous
this has been going on for a while - defo long term. it’s gone beyond just ‘oh i’m a little nervous about a test tomorrow’ to me dreading going out and seeing people or going to school or taking exams or trying anything new. the anxiety is awful. it’s gotten way worse than my depression which i never thought would happen. it’s a horrible bubbling unsettling feeling in my stomach constantly that i can’t seem to shake. always feeling like i’m going to throw up, always having people comment on how clammy my hands are. when i sleep it’s there when i go to school it’s there when i think about my future it’s there.
it stops me from doing the things i want to do, hence me calling it crippling.
i don’t want therapy or meds. just any practical or islamic advice please
There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-Relate, they have a chat advisor

-Mental Health 24/7: 0800 008 6516

-hubofhope website, useful contact information for your local area

You can self refer yourself to talking therapies on the NHS website.

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.
It would be a good idea to see your GP, to run some blood tests, B12, folate, thyroid function, Vitamin D levels, etc. to exclude a medical cause.
As a healthcare practitioner I can tell you that some of the SSRI meds like citalopram and sertraline have shown good results for anxiety, panic disorder and related depression.
or a short book to read..... First steps out of anxiety- Dr Kate Middleton
Reply 4
Original post by JF ZAK
i can help with the islamic advice here are some points sorry for number mix up
6. All human beings experience sorrow and hardship in their lives, so you have something in common with people who came before you and your contemporaries. People do not feel severe grief or anxiety when they share it with other people. Because when they have other examples like them, their pain may decrease.
7. If you have a problem to worry about, you should remember that as long as you are alive you can have a bigger problem in the future so you should learn lessons from the smaller issues and if they protect you from making bigger mistakes, then they will become gifts to be thankful for.
8. If you have a terrible time, problems, feel anxious or sad, you should think of all those good things you have, including your own life and soul. You cannot regain what you lost, but you can access what is left. If you are tested with deep sorrow in your life, you should think of it frequently and think of something that makes you happy and thankful afterward, and this way, you can get over it.
9. You should remember that there will surely be good days and gifts to comfort you after all the bad days. The most challenging moment is the moment you are experiencing hardship, and every moment comes after that will be more comfortable.
Ebû Zeyd el-Belhî listed these nine suggestions and stated that we should refer to them when we feel distressed, anxious, or face struggles, and they may help us to get rid of them.

thank you brother i appreciate this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending