The Student Room Group

So I made the worst decision of my life. I chose Biochemistry as my degree.

Back when I was young and dumb 17, I had no clue what I wanted to do, it was between, pharmacy, radiography, optometry and biochemistry. I chose the biochemistry, despite my family members telling me not to.

I have graduated with a 2:1 in biochemistry, and I have completely lost interest in working in that field. I have been unable to secure any graduate schemes, or more specifically, i wanted to use this ‘stem degree’ to get into finance. But after applying for a year straight I have gotten nothing, no responses, i was offered 2 interviews out of like 500 applications, one to which they did not even call me at the time they said they would. Of course they knew I wasnt worth their time, they’d rather have a finance graduate over a biochemistry loser like myself.

My brother has done pharmacy and graduated straight on locum 50-60k, so is my other cousin, and my other cousin chose audiology and is on the same amount locum too. They work 4/5 normal shifts a week.

Me I work two jobs, i work my part time job at tesco as a shift leader and a 9-5 mon-fri full time job as an assessment administrator for RICS, just to only earn 28k a year, and after
Tax its like 24k, which is barely enough with inflation and since im trying to save up for my wedding with my partner.

I feel depressed as each day goes by, I was on the right track, I done everything right, done well in my science A-levels, and got good gcse grades through long hard hours of studying. Only for it all to go to waste. Only for me to feel like a waste.

I’m forced to work 45+ hrs a week just to make ends meat. Im forced to do jobs where people without degrees are doing. I feel over qualified. I have wasted 4 years of my life, and now I regret it.
Reply 1
Original post by Ace78681
Back when I was young and dumb 17, I had no clue what I wanted to do, it was between, pharmacy, radiography, optometry and biochemistry. I chose the biochemistry, despite my family members telling me not to.
I have graduated with a 2:1 in biochemistry, and I have completely lost interest in working in that field. I have been unable to secure any graduate schemes, or more specifically, i wanted to use this ‘stem degree’ to get into finance. But after applying for a year straight I have gotten nothing, no responses, i was offered 2 interviews out of like 500 applications, one to which they did not even call me at the time they said they would. Of course they knew I wasnt worth their time, they’d rather have a finance graduate over a biochemistry loser like myself.
My brother has done pharmacy and graduated straight on locum 50-60k, so is my other cousin, and my other cousin chose audiology and is on the same amount locum too. They work 4/5 normal shifts a week.
Me I work two jobs, i work my part time job at tesco as a shift leader and a 9-5 mon-fri full time job as an assessment administrator for RICS, just to only earn 28k a year, and after
Tax its like 24k, which is barely enough with inflation and since im trying to save up for my wedding with my partner.
I feel depressed as each day goes by, I was on the right track, I done everything right, done well in my science A-levels, and got good gcse grades through long hard hours of studying. Only for it all to go to waste. Only for me to feel like a waste.
I’m forced to work 45+ hrs a week just to make ends meat. Im forced to do jobs where people without degrees are doing. I feel over qualified. I have wasted 4 years of my life, and now I regret it.
Have you had any help with your CV ?Son finally got advice and started to land lots of interviews and now his dream job after struggling for a while.There is a certain format they want and will discard cv's purely on that basis.Don't give up and it is good you are employed as it will all be vital work experience.
Reply 2
What about doing a masters? You have a 2:1 and that would get you onto a masters. You could choose something that is more geared to what your your interests are now. A friend of the family did Biochemistry, but then took a Law conversion course and now works as a solicitor.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
Have you had any help with your CV ?Son finally got advice and started to land lots of interviews and now his dream job after struggling for a while.There is a certain format they want and will discard cv's purely on that basis.Don't give up and it is good you are employed as it will all be vital work experience.

I had some help with my University careers team.
You could do a conversion course. Alternatively, you could do some online finance courses and use them to get onto a finance masters.
Original post by Ace78681

Finance sector grad schemes don't really care what degree you did in most areas - I know someone who went into a big 4 accountancy scheme with a degree in history and politics. They do care about relevant work experience though - did you get any internships during the degree? That is what sets apart different graduates, not the degree subject. Also preparing for the psychometric tests and assessment centre activities used to filter applicants.
It's true that biology and chemistry related degrees often have pretty poor prospects within their own respective fields. However, if you have a degree at 2:1 level there's a lot you can do, as many jobs only request applicants have a degree. Of course, lots of other people will likely also be applying for these opportunities, but there are plenty that are at least open to you. And now that you have some actual work experience - and have progressed to shift leader - your profile should be somewhat more attractive than that of a typical graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending