The Student Room Group

Creative writing GSCE

hi, for my recent exam for English lang I got 4/20 :/ my test is on Thursday, what should I do to improve quickly??
Original post by N1c0l3z
hi, for my recent exam for English lang I got 4/20 :/ my test is on Thursday, what should I do to improve quickly??

if u want, u can send it to me and i can take u step by step through ur work and show you ways to improve. it helps sometimes to see practical examples of how to improve.
Reply 2
Original post by anonymousquokka
if u want, u can send it to me and i can take u step by step through ur work and show you ways to improve. it helps sometimes to see practical examples of how to improve.

image.jpg image.jpgThank you so much I really appreciate it🥺
k so first im just gonna send u a page of general notes on question 4 just for general use then ill look at ur essay if that works
(edited 1 month ago)
question 4: worth 1/4 of the paper, so needs most time
-will always be about the second part of the source - no marks if you write about the 1st half. focus on the right lines.

question 2 isnt useful because its about the 1st half. however, u can use some things from question 3 (different examiners mark different q's). make sure that the point is relevant like only use if it works.

its a made up statement -'do you agree...'

give your opinion - evaluate
you can:

consider your own impressions on...(insert statemnt)

evaluate - methods, language structure

support your response with reference to the text.

not sure how helpful/ relevant this is, but it cld be useful, just thigngs to keep in mind
k, so i read through it and i think that the main poibnt where you lost marks is that you didnt expand enough.
think about it like this. if you have to speak about somethng that you have a very set opinion on, and you need to convince your year/schl/lots of ppl of your opinion. you would present a strong argument. you would give an exmaple, and explain that example. why did you give that example? how does it help your case? you have to approach this question the same way. make sure you know your opinion, you know what you;re writing. then when you write your essay, dont just stick in quotations for the sake of it. you need to expand on them. its like saying 'chocolate tastes good. we know this because it contains milk. thats why chocolate is tasty.' no-one is going to understand that fully. you would back it up with ' chocolate is tasty because it has millk in it. this means that the texture is creamy, its satisfying to eat, it looks appealing, and the milk enriches the flavour. it adds a new dynamic to the taste, it elevates the product... blah blah etc...' thats proving a point. its taking a statement and bringing in something that baxks it up, and explaining why it backs it up.
so when the question is asking you how far do you agree that its terrifying,the quotations you give have to tie into that. you picked good quotes but you sort of just left them there and moved on without explaining why you put them there. thats where marks are dropped because you arent backing up your opinion fully. pretend the examiner is dumb - spell it out really simply. ' we see its terrifying when he ssays ' it cannot be killed'', tell me why (yes the song is stuck in my head now😉 )
the fact that it is unkillable shows the sheer strength of the t-rex, and how weak that eckles must feel in comparison to the creature. this is further proven by when its described as a 'nightmare'- a nightmare usually contains someones worst fears. a 'nightmare' is used to describe a horrible situation. this is a metaphor - its as if eckles is trapped in his worst nightmare - his fears. all of this shows his fear and terror.
what ive done here is ive taken the quotations that u used in ur essay and ive expanded/analysed them, and shown u in places where you could use them to support your statement. its not a full essay, but hopefully it was helpful, and you understand more what to do.

k s
(edited 1 month ago)
oh and obviously i'm not a professional, im in year 11 also, but englsih is my strong suit. id also advise asking ur teacher for more personalised feedbakc cos they know your writing more. maybe if u have time redo the essay and see if it improves cos then u know that it was useful. good luck with it all!
Reply 8
Original post by anonymousquokka
oh and obviously i'm not a professional, im in year 11 also, but englsih is my strong suit. id also advise asking ur teacher for more personalised feedbakc cos they know your writing more. maybe if u have time redo the essay and see if it improves cos then u know that it was useful. good luck with it all!

Thank you so much!! I'll take that into account when redoing my question 🙂 I appreciate your help❤️have a lovely day!

Quick Reply

Latest