The Student Room Group

Modern Studies Higher

Hi guys
Modern studies assignment is so soon, but I still get confused between KU, anaylsis or evaluation marks for 20 mark essays
If someone can explain how to simply do it that would so good thankyou
Reply 1
I meant exam not assignment sorry
Original post by NickyKau
Hi guys
Modern studies assignment is so soon, but I still get confused between KU, anaylsis or evaluation marks for 20 mark essays
If someone can explain how to simply do it that would so good thankyou

KU (Knowledge and Understanding) would be the information you provide to make a point. This means that if I was talking about devolution vs independence, and I said “Theresa May whilst as Prime Minister authorised bombing in Syria, despite 65% of Scots being against such bombing, and the Scottish Government being against it” I would get a mark.

Analysis is more developed. It’s what you do with the points you make - you write the analysis! This means that if I went on to say, “This shows that the views and opinions of Scots were disregarded under devolution, and can be overruled by the Prime Minister. An independent Scotland would be able to form its own legislation and defence policy.” I would get an analysis mark as I’ve analysed what the knowledge I said meant.

Evaluation is described by some as a ‘mini-conclusion’. You’re referring to the question, and saying what your analysis means in reference to the question. So, if the question was “Some people prefer devolution, whereas some people prefer independence. Discuss different views on the governance of Scotland”, my evaluation would be “Overall, this means that independence may be seen as the best method of governance, as it recognises the democratic wishes of Scots, whereas devolution means it could be ignored”.

Hopefully this explains it, but I might not have explained it clearly 😭
Reply 3
Original post by finlaymcg
KU (Knowledge and Understanding) would be the information you provide to make a point. This means that if I was talking about devolution vs independence, and I said “Theresa May whilst as Prime Minister authorised bombing in Syria, despite 65% of Scots being against such bombing, and the Scottish Government being against it” I would get a mark.
Analysis is more developed. It’s what you do with the points you make - you write the analysis! This means that if I went on to say, “This shows that the views and opinions of Scots were disregarded under devolution, and can be overruled by the Prime Minister. An independent Scotland would be able to form its own legislation and defence policy.” I would get an analysis mark as I’ve analysed what the knowledge I said meant.
Evaluation is described by some as a ‘mini-conclusion’. You’re referring to the question, and saying what your analysis means in reference to the question. So, if the question was “Some people prefer devolution, whereas some people prefer independence. Discuss different views on the governance of Scotland”, my evaluation would be “Overall, this means that independence may be seen as the best method of governance, as it recognises the democratic wishes of Scots, whereas devolution means it could be ignored”.
Hopefully this explains it, but I might not have explained it clearly 😭

Thank you so so much, this is so useful! I think I get it now ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending