The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

My review of BCU!

Hello everyone!

I am coming to the end of my journey at BCU; I would love to use this space to reflect on some of the best bits and invite people to ask any questions about university or teaching!

Firstly, I have to say that the best part of my experience has been how supported I have felt throughout my time as a student at BCU. My lecturers and the wider staff at BCU have influenced me in so many positive ways and shaped me into who I am today. I didn’t have many expectations when I started studying at BCU, as I came in through clearing. However, my educational experience at BCU has exceeded my expectations for my original university choices. Now that I have completed my dissertation, I have had some time to reflect on it. When applying for university, I was always worried about doing a dissertation in the third year, as it seemed daunting. But now that it is over, I can say that I was never stressed or anxious because of all the support and scaffolding. I had a really positive experience and I am really proud of the work I have produced.

I have also been part of a society that didn’t exist in my first year but was created due to popular demand! Through this society, I have had a memorable and wholesome social life while studying at BCU; it has really helped me live my ideal ‘uni experience’. BCU are all about facilitating social events that are truly inclusive, meaning that there really is something for everyone.

Next week, I am going abroad with BCU to attend an international conference on education and teaching. All my expenses have been covered by BCU, which ensures that anyone can get involved in these experiences despite their financial situation. I really wanted to take advantage of at least one of the many international opportunities we offered before I graduated, so that is exactly what I am doing. From what I already know about the trip, I think it will be a university highlight for me!

Finally, something else that I really like about BCU is its focus on employability. I had guest speakers quite frequently during lecturers/seminars who were there to talk to us about different work/volunteering opportunities. I really benefited from this in many ways; I started volunteering for West Midlands Police and Barnardo’s Children’s Charity. I also found agency work as a teaching assistant and cover teacher, all because of the opportunities presented to me by BCU.

I can’t wait to return to BCU as a Master's student!

The best way to find out about BCU is by attending an open day, you can register your interest to come to one of our One Days here: https://bit.ly/4aHFLz5

If you have any questions about my experience or university in general, please reply. I would love to start a conversation with you!

Anastasia,

BCU Student Rep.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hello everyone!
I am coming to the end of my journey at BCU; I would love to use this space to reflect on some of the best bits and invite people to ask any questions about university or teaching!
Firstly, I have to say that the best part of my experience has been how supported I have felt throughout my time as a student at BCU. My lecturers and the wider staff at BCU have influenced me in so many positive ways and shaped me into who I am today. I didn’t have many expectations when I started studying at BCU, as I came in through clearing. However, my educational experience at BCU has exceeded my expectations for my original university choices. Now that I have completed my dissertation, I have had some time to reflect on it. When applying for university, I was always worried about doing a dissertation in the third year, as it seemed daunting. But now that it is over, I can say that I was never stressed or anxious because of all the support and scaffolding. I had a really positive experience and I am really proud of the work I have produced.
I have also been part of a society that didn’t exist in my first year but was created due to popular demand! Through this society, I have had a memorable and wholesome social life while studying at BCU; it has really helped me live my ideal ‘uni experience’. BCU are all about facilitating social events that are truly inclusive, meaning that there really is something for everyone.
Next week, I am going abroad with BCU to attend an international conference on education and teaching. All my expenses have been covered by BCU, which ensures that anyone can get involved in these experiences despite their financial situation. I really wanted to take advantage of at least one of the many international opportunities we offered before I graduated, so that is exactly what I am doing. From what I already know about the trip, I think it will be a university highlight for me!
Finally, something else that I really like about BCU is its focus on employability. I had guest speakers quite frequently during lecturers/seminars who were there to talk to us about different work/volunteering opportunities. I really benefited from this in many ways; I started volunteering for West Midlands Police and Barnardo’s Children’s Charity. I also found agency work as a teaching assistant and cover teacher, all because of the opportunities presented to me by BCU.
I can’t wait to return to BCU as a Master's student!
The best way to find out about BCU is by attending an open day, you can register your interest to come to one of our One Days here: https://bit.ly/4aHFLz5
If you have any questions about my experience or university in general, please reply. I would love to start a conversation with you!
Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Hi how was student services , I need help with assignments but I will be post graduate student thank you
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Cocomelon2021
Hi how was student services , I need help with assignments but I will be post graduate student thank you

Hi @Cocomelon2021

I personally used the Academic Development Department (ADD) a few times to help me with my dissertation. If you are a BCU student, you can book a meeting with a tutor on iCity. They do get booked quite quickly, so you have to check the website frequently for new slots. These are 30 minute online or in-person sessions where you can discuss academic writing or get support with data/statistics.

The librarians at BCU also offer one-to-one support with academic writing, literature and referencing. You can quite literally give them your topic, and they will return to you with a huge list of academic sources that are related to your topic. This is very helpful and saves you a lot of time.

I hope this answers your question!

Good luck with your assignment :smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Cocomelon2021
I personally used the Academic Development Department (ADD) a few times to help me with my dissertation. If you are a BCU student, you can book a meeting with a tutor on iCity. They do get booked quite quickly, so you have to check the website frequently for new slots. These are 30 minute online or in-person sessions where you can discuss academic writing or get support with data/statistics.
The librarians at BCU also offer one-to-one support with academic writing, literature and referencing. You can quite literally give them your topic, and they will return to you with a huge list of academic sources that are related to your topic. This is very helpful and saves you a lot of time.
I hope this answers your question!
Good luck with your assignment :smile:
Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Thank you , I’ve got an interview coming up so this is helpful to know
Original post by Cocomelon2021
Thank you , I’ve got an interview coming up so this is helpful to know

Good luck with your interview @Cocomelon2021 !

Just to let you know, you can find some interview tips on our website. Click here.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending