The Student Room Group

a level revision

Anyone got any tips for revising Sociology and History?
I just do flashcards and blurt.
If anyone has any other advice, id also love to hear it
Original post by demiaaaaa75
I just do flashcards and blurt.
If anyone has any other advice, id also love to hear it

For history I really recommend making a quizlet for all the facts and stats on your course so for example X rebellion had x number of people involved and happened from x to x. Within that you could also include causes and consequences etc. Timelines can also be helpful just to get your head around stuff. And finally I really reccomend looking at past papers and doing as many essay plans as you can - maybe even ask your teacher for some questions. Ultimately the exam comes down to the essays so if you confidently have 1-2 plans for each topic then you'll be golden :smile:
Original post by gskelly

Uni student now, but used to take sociology. In my opinion the hardest thing about sociology were the essays, so I revised by making essay plans. You can make up your own essays by looking at past papers and seeing how the worded them. I used to make essay plans in the format of a mindmap, and then once I was done I would test my recall by blurting - looking at the essay question and seeing how you would answering it without looking at your notes. Hope that helps! :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Original post by gskelly

Hi,

I study History at uni but also did it for A Level and GCSE. For revising content, I found watching videos and taking notes really helpful, as well as websites like Seneca. The most difficult part for me was remembering the facts, like key dates and names. The way that worked best for me was flashcards, and writing facts on posters I would put up in places I would see often. It's also important to understand the essay structure and how to answer each question, so you don't have to worry about it in the exam and can focus on remembering content to work out your argument. Essay planning can be extremely useful, I used to mind map them and decide what points I would make rather than writing them out in full every time.

Hope this helps.

Sophie
LJMU Student Rep

Quick Reply