The Student Room Group

I got 9 A*'s in my GCSE's - Ask Me Anything

The subjects I took were Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, Spanish, Computer Science, Latin and Drama. I also got A*A*A*A in my A-Level's and I am a current University of Cambridge undergraduate! Happy to help where I can :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Hii
What advice would you give to someone that wants to apply to Oxbridge, do you have any tips for coping with stress and having really good time management during an actual exam and finally how would you recommend improving in subjects that you maybe don't get the grades you need in.
Well done btw on your amazing achievements 🙃
Original post by CambridgeTutor1
The subjects I took were Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, Spanish, Computer Science, Latin and Drama. I also got A*A*A*A in my A-Level's and I am a current University of Cambridge undergraduate! Happy to help where I can :smile:

Hi! How did you manage to get 9s in English and computer science? Also what a-levels did you do and what degree are you currently doing?
Thanks 🙂

Hey, just wondering, how would you for GCSE combined science and English? I’m just confused and stuck ;-;
This is unreasonable i believe (correct me if wrong) but you can't get "A's" in GCSE and it is a number grade

I myself, I am a music teacher and art teacher, I have a Youtube channel where i post my own music, my best hit being who took my lizard, and i also paint canvass' which I then sell for upwards of £15,000 (more then Michael Woolley makes per month) so I do believe that you cannot get 'A's' in GCSE as they use a number grade system, so I think you may be lying which makes this post discreditable. Gooday to you.
Original post by mrbutlerchapman
I myself, I am a music teacher and art teacher, I have a Youtube channel where i post my own music, my best hit being who took my lizard, and i also paint canvass' which I then sell for upwards of £15,000 (more then Michael Woolley makes per month) so I do believe that you cannot get 'A's' in GCSE as they use a number grade system, so I think you may be lying which makes this post discreditable. Gooday to you.

buddy, A* means 8/9
Original post by jakechoice
buddy, A* means 8/9

Yeah quit the cap i've never in my whole life heard someone say that so lets be reasonable and tell the truth
Original post by jakechoice
buddy, A* means 8/9

Well, 'buddy' (I like to be referred to as Lewis butler chapman as it is on my 300 subscriber youtube channel) they should of said grade 9 as it is the correct terms in recent times, so please dont call me buddy, Its Sir to you! (or big butler like my wifeu calls me) Gooday!
Reply 9

Original post by MrReasonable
This is unreasonable i believe (correct me if wrong) but you can't get "A's" in GCSE and it is a number grade

Yeah quit the cap i've never in my whole life heard someone say that so lets be reasonable and tell the truth

The system only changed a few years ago, around 2018 I believe. Before that, the grading system was in letters. Since the OP is currently an undergraduate at Cambridge, they could have taken their GCSEs under the old system. Regardless, if you really want to you can convert the letters into numbers - an A = 7 and an A* = 8/9.

Personally, I took my GCSEs while the system was switching over, so half of my grades were letters and the other half were numbers. I tend to convert them all to letters whenever the subject comes up, because for someone who hasn't grown up with the number system, it is more confusing that the letters system. At the end of the day, everyone knows what an A and an A* means.

Does that clear that up? Hopefully the OP can be allowed to use this thread for its intended purpose, rather than have their achievements questioned.
(edited 1 month ago)

They either did their GCSEs before the system changed in England or they studied in wales where we still have graded system (I got 14A*s). Although there’s no way to really ‘translate’ grades from letters to numbers or vice versa it is commonly known that a 8/9 is fairly equal to an A* , a 7 about an A and so on.

Nevertheless any tips the OP has will be relevant as the course content shouldn’t be too different regardless of when/where they took their exams.

Hi, i am pretty sure they mean 8 and 9s for GCSE's 🙂

Hi there!

I wanna ask if extra curriculars had any weight on your application for Cambridge?? If so which ones did you do..and do u think that Oxbridge values any specific extra curriculars??

Thank you!
Original post by amaniii
Hi there!
I wanna ask if extra curriculars had any weight on your application for Cambridge?? If so which ones did you do..and do u think that Oxbridge values any specific extra curriculars??
Thank you!

There is a decent list at
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf
and oxford publish some ideas as well. Its generally less about having a tick list of stuff to do and more about getting stuck into some problems / learning and being able to explain what you found interesting.

Its worth noting that extra curriulars have no impact on your applcation, rather you should weave your personal statement around the super curriculum stuff as per above.
(edited 1 month ago)
Any tips for Latin? Especially the language section

NI still uses letters
Reply 16

How does the fact that you sell £15,000 canvases* (fix your grammar), are a music teacher, and made a lizard song have any relevance to your futile attempt of opposing this person's grades? They state that they are at Cambridge, meaning that they would have completed their GCSE's when the grades were in letters.

Quick Reply

Latest