The Student Room Group

Coursemate being given modified grading criterion

Hi, I wanted to use this site as a sounding board for this issue. We're rapidly approaching our final assessment submissions for our second year. In a seminar, I heard a student beginning to demand that an entire criterion column be discounted when their assignment is being marked. This is inseparable from the assignment and module (along the lines of formatting an essay like an essay to generalise). It is being done because of their preference when completing work, not because it is an impossible standard to meet. What surprised me more was that our lecturer appeared to agree to discount it.

Again, this is a core aspect of the module. If I showed up and submitted work that did not even attempt to meet these standards, I know for a fact that I would fail the module. I suppose I could understand if this criterion could not be met, whether due to the form of your work - you can't do a thorough literary analysis of a car, to be absurd - or because it is a reasonable adjustment.

However, removing one of the core elements of a module because a student doesn't feel like adhering to industry standards that they will need to use if they want a job in the future is absurd. Even stranger is forcing the rest of the cohort to continue as normal, still having to complete their work to a standard far higher than the student being given leeway in hopes of attaining the same grade.

Is this reasonable? Am I losing my mind, or is this legitimately as strange as it sounds?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I wanted to use this site as a sounding board for this issue. We're rapidly approaching our final assessment submissions for our second year. In a seminar, I heard a student beginning to demand that an entire criterion column be discounted when their assignment is being marked. This is inseparable from the assignment and module (along the lines of formatting an essay like an essay to generalise). It is being done because of their preference when completing work, not because it is an impossible standard to meet. What surprised me more was that our lecturer appeared to agree to discount it.
Again, this is a core aspect of the module. If I showed up and submitted work that did not even attempt to meet these standards, I know for a fact that I would fail the module. I suppose I could understand if this criterion could not be met, whether due to the form of your work - you can't do a thorough literary analysis of a car, to be absurd - or because it is a reasonable adjustment.
However, removing one of the core elements of a module because a student doesn't feel like adhering to industry standards that they will need to use if they want a job in the future is absurd. Even stranger is forcing the rest of the cohort to continue as normal, still having to complete their work to a standard far higher than the student being given leeway in hopes of attaining the same grade.
Is this reasonable? Am I losing my mind, or is this legitimately as strange as it sounds?

Can you report the issue to your module leader/a higher position of authority.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Can you report the issue to your module leader/a higher position of authority.

Unfortunately, the lecturer is also in charge of the module. We are a very small cohort.
Original post by Anonymous

I would probably report it, but idk if you'd hear the outcome.
I have reasonable adjustments in place for coursework/exams but they definitely don't discount a portion of the marking criteria :hmmmm:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Chronoscope
I would probably report it, but idk if you'd hear the outcome.
I have reasonable adjustments in place for coursework/exams but they definitely don't discount a portion of the marking criteria :hmmmm:

I'm a disabled student, ironically, which is what has made this so frustrating. Part of why I asked was to ensure that I wasn't somehow projecting my own feelings onto the situation and being unreasonable or otherwise elitist. It's reassuring to hear that others are perplexed by it.

Quick Reply

Latest