The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Biomed for medicine. 20 years old.

So after speaking with a few people I realised GEM is probably the best way for me to get into med school. I'm 20 years old so need to get a degree ASAP so I can get a good career. Now my a level results as it stands are BED. So I can take a gap year, resit them and do MPHARM at the uni of Birmingham meaning I'll be around 25-26 when I finish or I can do biomed and finish it at 23-24 to get into med school and If I don't get in ill do a PA course meaning ill be 26 either way whats the best out of these 2 options
Reply 1
Pick the one that would lead to a career you would be happy with long term, as GEM is not a guarantee, and a PA job role may have changed a lot in that time
Reply 2
Original post by GANFYD
Pick the one that would lead to a career you would be happy with long term, as GEM is not a guarantee, and a PA job role may have changed a lot in that time

do u think PA will change too much I actually like the idea of being PA knowing a lot about treating patients in a hospital helping doctors etc. My cousin is a PA and she inspired my choice
Reply 3
Original post by Rohan007best
do u think PA will change too much I actually like the idea of being PA knowing a lot about treating patients in a hospital helping doctors etc. My cousin is a PA and she inspired my choice

PAs do not know a lot about treating patients, that is the issue. If it takes 10yrs to train a GP and 15 yrs to train a consultant, you cannot get even remotely close to the same level of knowledge after 2yrs. I suspect their role may be quite tightly limited in scope in the near future
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD

I agree with this. You need to think what is good for the future too.

Quick Reply

Latest