The Student Room Group

any photography a-level students here?

i have my exam in two weeks and our teaching has literally told us nothing !! kinda freaking out but if someone can explain it to me i'd really appreciate it
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I did my Photography A-level a few years ago. It was meant to be either a 10 or 15 hour exam (I can't remember now) which would be spread over five-hour days with breaks. Because mine was done under post-COVID rules it wasn't a proper exam and we spent the time just completing work and not even in exam conditions I think. Please just ask your teacher to tell you what it's going to be like, I doubt they haven't told you on purpose.
Original post by Doomotron
I did my Photography A-level a few years ago. It was meant to be either a 10 or 15 hour exam (I can't remember now) which would be spread over five-hour days with breaks. Because mine was done under post-COVID rules it wasn't a proper exam and we spent the time just completing work and not even in exam conditions I think. Please just ask your teacher to tell you what it's going to be like, I doubt they haven't told you on purpose.

thank you for the advice! may i ask what grade you achieved and if you have any tips for me?
Reply 4
Original post by emelianiloufar
i have my exam in two weeks and our teaching has literally told us nothing !! kinda freaking out but if someone can explain it to me i'd really appreciate it

Hi! I have mine next Friday - it’s a 15hr exam in exam conditions (no music), from what i’ve gathered its basically just 15hrs to complete ur coursework and put together your final piece, it doesn’t really make much sense to put it into an exam but here we are aha. If you have any other questions I can try help answer them!
thank you for the advice! may i ask what grade you achieved and if you have any tips for me?

I got a D. I was struggling through the entirety of the final project because I had no idea what to do for it and ended up creating absolutely terrible work out of necessity. I don't think I'm the right person to give you advice, but the only thing I can say is that make sure you're prepared long before the exam starts so you don't waste the time given.
Original post by lumiller
Hi! I have mine next Friday - it’s a 15hr exam in exam conditions (no music), from what i’ve gathered its basically just 15hrs to complete ur coursework and put together your final piece, it doesn’t really make much sense to put it into an exam but here we are aha. If you have any other questions I can try help answer them!

hey so how many photos have you chosen for your final piece? and do you do your coursework in sketchbooks/ powerpoint because i'm a bit concerned i don't have enough slides/work to hand in. if so, how many photoshoots have you completed for your exam unit in total? our teacher said we have to sit in silence each day [cry] but im not really sure i'm gonna have enough stuff to do in 15 hours i'm struggling to find ideas for my final piece (i have like a week welp)
Reply 7
hey so how many photos have you chosen for your final piece? and do you do your coursework in sketchbooks/ powerpoint because i'm a bit concerned i don't have enough slides/work to hand in. if so, how many photoshoots have you completed for your exam unit in total? our teacher said we have to sit in silence each day [cry] but im not really sure i'm gonna have enough stuff to do in 15 hours i'm struggling to find ideas for my final piece (i have like a week welp)

Okay so for my final piece im almost doing like a crime scene board so I have a few photos to use but I think it’s completely up to you and the theme of your final piece (as in there’s no point having loads of final pieces if it doesn’t fit in with what you’re doing)
I do my coursework in big a3 sketchbooks, I’ve completed 3 normal books over the duration of the two years and I have been given a seperate a3 book to complete my exam research/shoot plans/contact sheets ect in.
I would suggest making a table of the 15hrs and plan what you are going to do in each hour. Because my final piece wont take much time - I’ve given myself 5hrs to complete the ‘crime scene board’ and then I’ve got the remaining 10hrs to perfect my coursework books as after the exam you are not allowed to touch your coursework again (well thats the case for me anyways aha) - remember to also give yourself time for mistakes in that plan as well

Quick Reply

Latest