The Student Room Group

How much should I study?

I’m in my first year doing a social science (politics). Admittedly, I wouldn’t say I studied that much in the first term (I only did mandatory reading without looking at any further reading) but in the second term I feel as if I stepped up the pace doing anything from 25-35 hours per week independently completing both mandatory and at least some optional reading week by week. Is this pace enough going into my final term considering I have 9 hour contact time per week?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my first year doing a social science (politics). Admittedly, I wouldn’t say I studied that much in the first term (I only did mandatory reading without looking at any further reading) but in the second term I feel as if I stepped up the pace doing anything from 25-35 hours per week independently completing both mandatory and at least some optional reading week by week. Is this pace enough going into my final term considering I have 9 hour contact time per week?

Hi @Anonymous #1,

Each course varies in how much work/studying needs to be done outside of the in person teaching so it's difficult to say if what you're doing is enough. By the sounds of it if you are going the mandatory reading and optional reading each week you are doing very well as a lot of people don't do this and sounds like you are keeping on top of all your work, so well done!

If you are worried that your not doing enough or doing too much I would recommend asking your tutor or lecturer, they will be able to advise you on what they expect you to be doing and what might be useful extras to be doing like additional reading etc.

Hope this helps🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton rep.

Quick Reply

Latest