The Student Room Group

Why can’t I seem to pass any uni assignments?

I’m at the end of second year studying psych at the uni of Greenwich and omg I can’t seem to pass anything, let alone do well in the assignments. I’ve failed 2 this year by 5%, one by 2% and with deadline season and having literally 2 days between deadlines, I’m naturally worried about how they’ll go. I’ve worked so hard on a lab report that I got 35%, and admittedly I barely put effort in the previous one and I got exactly the same grade as the one I worked so hard for! I thought I’d really turned it around this semester but clearly not, man I literally can’t do this
Book an appointment with your tutor and ask them to go through your work to identify what changes you would need to make to improve your marks.

The academic staff don’t want you to fail or leave but at university you have to ask for help if you want to improve.
Reply 2
Hi dude, I went from 45% and 26% in 2 assignments to 82.5% in an exam, with most of the exam based on the topics in these 2 assignments. This was how I did it:
I actually redid every single problem on these 2 assignments and marked down what I need to be careful of when I see similar types of problems. I was able to find some really good topic exercises on the topics. I was able to finish the 3-hour exam with half an hour to spare as I felt much more confident going into it, and ended up with an impressive result (the average was 61.9%) which shocked my professor and teaching assistants.

I'm sure that if you can get feedback and even try to redo the work based on it, you will become even better with the stuff!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by lifestartsnow.x
I’m at the end of second year studying psych at the uni of Greenwich and omg I can’t seem to pass anything, let alone do well in the assignments. I’ve failed 2 this year by 5%, one by 2% and with deadline season and having literally 2 days between deadlines, I’m naturally worried about how they’ll go. I’ve worked so hard on a lab report that I got 35%, and admittedly I barely put effort in the previous one and I got exactly the same grade as the one I worked so hard for! I thought I’d really turned it around this semester but clearly not, man I literally can’t do this

Hi @lifestartsnow.x ,

I know it can feel frustrating when you and trying really hard on an assignment and still not getting the grades you want. I would recommend looking over the feedback you get on every assignment and see if there are certain elements you aren't including which could be getting you extra marks. I would then also arrange a time with your lectures or tutor so you can sit down and talk to them about what your not quite doing right and ask them to go through the feedback they have given you so you know what needs to be included for your next piece of work. They don't want you to fail so they are going to help you as much as they can to help you pass.

What I found useful when I was at university was looking at the marking criteria and making a checklist of everything which needs to be included so I can tick it off when I complete the certain elements so at the end I know I have included everything I need, as it can be easy to forget things.

I understand how difficult it is to focus on completing a piece of work when you have other assignments due around the same time. At my university I was able to apply for 2 self certified extensions a year which would give me an extra 5 days to complete an assignment, which I could take at any point to help with having assignments being due all at the same time. Does your university do anything like this?

Your SU might student offer services where someone can help with things like time management if this is something you are struggling with as well with so many assignments being due at the same time.

I hope this helps🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton Rep.
(edited 1 month ago)

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read this but have had a similar experience! Just remember, feedback is your best friend! Go to professors and your tutor and say your ambitions and how you've been struggling. Let them help you direct your efforts in the right way and see what happens. This will also help you build a relationship with your professors which is always really helpful too!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi @lifestartsnow.x,

Sorry to hear this unfortunately our effort and time put into an assignment doesn't always show in the result.

Some recommendations would be:

Look at your assignment briefly carefully are you addressing everything that they are asking of you properly.

Look at the assessment criteria what is it that is stopping you from getting a pass - are you not explaining something enough? are you not using the correct referencing system? are you not meeting the requirements of the assignment.

I would recommend setting up meetings with your module leader for them to go through your feedback in detail and to gain that extra support you may be needing.

Ahead of an assignment you could look into setting up a meeting with your module leader and provide a plan to them of what you are wanting to do and see if they can give any guidance/advice.

Does your uni allow you to submit draft copies ahead of the deadline if so these are a great way of getting some feedback and areas that can be improved to help you gain the grade you want.

Does your uni have a support system such as at Edge Hill there is a thing called Uni Skills which provides workshops, online resources and one-to-one meetings on topics such as academic writing and reading, referencing, exam prep and much more.

Hopefully that helps a bit, good luck with your work!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards

Hi @lifestartsnow.x ,

This is a really frustrating situation to be in so I understand why you are feeling annoyed about this.

My main piece of advice if you want to improve your grades is to email your academic advisor/personal tutor if you have one of these. You usually can ask them to set up a meeting and they can go through with you where you have been going wrong. They should hopefully be able to go back through your old assignments and point out where you could have improved and what you can do better next time. Also if you have an assignment coming up, you could ask them to have a look at it for you and see if they can identify any areas where you can improve.

I would also do the same with your tutors and email them to ask where you have been going wrong. They will be able to point out specific things that you have done wrong/haven't included and then you can work out where you need to improve. As others have said, they don't want you to fail and they are there to help you so they should be happy to go through this. Or, ask them in your classes if they could clarify certain bits of the assignment and you might not be the only one who has struggled so others might want to hear it too.

It's also worth asking your friends or your course mates how they are finding the assignments and maybe you could ask to have a read over one of their previous assignments just to see where you might be going wrong. There seems to be a consistent problem, this could be with referencing, critical writing or your writing style in general so it might be helpful to look at an example when someone has done well and see what might be different to your work.

When you are writing an assignment, I always find it helpful to have the assessment criteria open so you can keep referring back to it as this will show you what you need to do to get a better grade. Even ticking things off as you have done them just so you can see what you are including from the assessment criteria.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
What are you finding hard specifically work on each problem area one bit at a time and maybe find a study buddy there’s also a really good AI thing on bing

Quick Reply

Latest