The Student Room Group

How to find the motivation to revise

I’m a yr10, so this isn’t my top priority, but my parents are really insistent on testing me on stuff every day, and I also have mocks to deal with.

I often feel really tired and unmotivated to do anything, let alone revise. And I’m also pretty forgetful, so I have to revise topics at least once every few months if I’m going to recall it. I’m also falling a little behind in (AQA) History and German (especially History, I’ve gone from 8+ to a 5 in a year) and I’m not sure where else to find resources aside from BBC Bitesize.
Any advice and tips?
Original post by Ryebread07
I’m a yr10, so this isn’t my top priority, but my parents are really insistent on testing me on stuff every day, and I also have mocks to deal with.
I often feel really tired and unmotivated to do anything, let alone revise. And I’m also pretty forgetful, so I have to revise topics at least once every few months if I’m going to recall it. I’m also falling a little behind in (AQA) History and German (especially History, I’ve gone from 8+ to a 5 in a year) and I’m not sure where else to find resources aside from BBC Bitesize.
Any advice and tips?

Hey, you still have plenty of time to get the grades you want to achieve so don't stress yourself. If you're feeling unmotivated, just tell yourself that all this hard work you'll do will contribute so much to your future and aspirations. Also, maintain balance, do things that you love as a way to reward yourself, and I'd suggest watching a lot of motivational study and life related videos to help keep a strong mindset. My exams are in less than 30 days, I've been going at it like a crazy, but I decided to literally do nothing but take care of myself yesterday. And now, I actually want to study, because I've trained myself to keep that productive drive to continue wanting to do more even during times where I am so mentally and physically tired. One more thing, self discipline. It is so important. Sometimes, you have to be able to overcome that feeling of wanting to stop, by forcing yourself to keep going. But honestly, I think this applies more for when you have tests coming up, or deadlines that are due, so if you do actually feel really tired at times, that's your body telling you to stop. Make sure your eating the right amount of nutrients and drinking lots and lots of water to tackle the tiredness. Go to sleep early, and try and stay active every now and then, so don't just sit in one place.

Okay so for History, you can use gcse pod, it's really good and it covers every history topic there is with clear and concise videos to take notes from. Literally from this website alone will help bump your grades up back to an 8, or even a 9. Thing is, I discovered this through school so I already had an account for myself, so you might have to ask your history teacher to create an account for you. Also, I have quizlet flashcards that basically covers everything for weimar and nazi germany, so if you'd like to use them, my account is tasneem_444. If you happen to currently or later will be doing migration and the cold war, I also have flashcards of those you can use. Another account I strongly recommend is bibm7. You don't even have to memorise them now, even reading them every now and then will make it easier for when you have to memorise it for a test, as your mind will retain the information much more easily.

For maths, mathsgenie is good for edexcel and 1stclass maths is good for literally every maths exam board. I'd definitely say 1st class maths is the best because it covers basically every topic, and it also had a predicted paper that just came out recently for 2024, so you can check that out too. I wouldn't say do past papers now, not until you've properly gone through the content. Once you do, you'll perform much better, and I can say this from experience. If sometimes you're not in the maths mood, I'd recommend doing the corbett 5 a day, where you'll have a few questions given to you depending on the day and you just have to answer them. It's good cause it's still keeping your brain active. Also, Mr tompkins ed tech is good for when you want to watch a walkthough on a paper you struggled with. Make sure to do practice questions on your weakest topics too.

For science, freesciencelessons is amazing. Just watch his videos, do past papers and practice questions on physics and maths tutor, and you'll be fine.

For english, the lightuphub on tiktok and youtube is a really good source for finding grade 9 analysis and vocabulary. Closer to the time of your gcses, it would be a massive help if you buy the membership as you'll gain access to a much wider range of what she talks about. For now, just watch her videos, do practice papers and give them to your teacher to mark and focus on your weak spots. Mr Bruff is also a good source on youtube.

If you're doing any languages, focus on the tenses the most, and your use of vocab. Idioms are also really good to use if your want the grade 7-9. If your taking spanish you can use my flashcards on quizlet. Do practice papers on your weakest spots, for e.g. writing or reading.

You said you're quite forgetful, so you might have to find a study method that you can adapt the best to. Also, it's very common to forget things without properly understanding it, so try to really comprehend what your learning if you want it to stay in your head. Try to stay organised, eat healthy, and stay active, as it'll help maintain oxygen flow to your brain. There are also some focus beats that can help sharpen your memory on youtube, which helps me alot for when doing tests or trying to memorise something more efficiently.

Quick Reply

Latest