The Student Room Group

what's up with the mass psychosis on tiktok?

the amount of people who believe that the sun has been 'replaced' by a fake and is now 'artificial' because 'it looks different' is insane. the amout of people who believed the eclipse was actually the 'rapture' , or cern opening up a portal for demons is insane. it's not a handful of people (like it used to be the case on youtube for years). it's literally thousands of people. regular people

what's going on? anyone else noticed this?
this is why i dont believe in religion
That is just TikTok. It rots your brain. Do yourself a favour and delete the app.
Presumably what you are seeing there is the algorithm successfully grouping like-minded people.
Reply 4
Original post by Gazpacho.
That is just TikTok. It rots your brain. Do yourself a favour and delete the app.

lol, i love tiktok. i mostly watch art-related content on it. so many amazing fellow artists on there
Reply 5
Original post by CatusStarbright
Presumably what you are seeing there is the algorithm successfully grouping like-minded people.

tbh i think there's more to it. i'm not into conspiracies, i'm not religious, and yet i still come across these videos on my fyp. because a lot of them go viral. it's not a small community of conspiracy theorists
Original post by Ciel.
tbh i think there's more to it. i'm not into conspiracies, i'm not religious, and yet i still come across these videos on my fyp. because a lot of them go viral. it's not a small community of conspiracy theorists

Is a couple of thousand people enough to make a video go viral these days? 😮

dont underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Reply 8

it's not a couple of thousand. a lot of these videos have like between 50k - 500k views.
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
it's not a couple of thousand. a lot of these videos have like between 50k - 500k views.

That could be why then. People don’t actually believe it, but they create content around it because it goes viral/watch it because it goes viral and pops up on their FYP.
Original post by Ciel.

Oh that’s not really viral. It might just be that it got that number of views fairly quickly so the algorithm prioritises it for the wider audience, hence you’re seeing it.
Reply 11
Original post by Lugg13
That could be why then. People don’t actually believe it, but they create content around it because it goes viral/watch it because it goes viral and pops up on their FYP.

i hope so. because it's creepy af if they actually believe all that crap
Reply 12
Oh that’s not really viral. It might just be that it got that number of views fairly quickly so the algorithm prioritises it for the wider audience, hence you’re seeing it.

i mean it's still popular considering it's a niche topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending