The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

2 degrees on Open University

Before anyone says that the workload of doing 2 degrees is impossible, double majoring is a thing in several countries and although very difficult, it is possible.

I am however wondering what it would be like doing 2 bachelor's degrees on OU as opposed to a real life university, if anyone can guess (or even better, if anyone has done it)!

I'd like to study either physics and CS or maths and CS.

Also, they say that (for physics) the workload is about 5 hours per week. To anyone who considers themselves quite an efficient person that picks things up quickly, can it be done in less, or is this pretty accurate?

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by rebecca9801
Before anyone says that the workload of doing 2 degrees is impossible, double majoring is a thing in several countries and although very difficult, it is possible.

I am however wondering what it would be like doing 2 bachelor's degrees on OU as opposed to a real life university, if anyone can guess (or even better, if anyone has done it)!

Also, they say that (for physics) the workload is about 5 hours per week. To anyone who considers themselves quite an efficient person that picks things up quickly, can it be done in less, or is this pretty accurate?

It's not possible with the OU as it's considered a UK university. They do however offer a joint CS & maths degree you could have a look at. Note that it's considered as 1 degree in 2 subjects not 2 separate degrees
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by rebecca9801

A double major is not 2 degrees. It is no different from a joint honours in the UK. You still do the same number of credits in total, but you effectively water down the depth of your studies as a result of pursuing additional breadth. That is the tradeoff. The only way to have 2 degrees is to... uh... do a second degree.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hello @rebecca9801,

If you are looking for an opportunity to study more flexibly than the average on-campus degree, and especially if you are looking to study 2 courses at the same time, you might also want to take a look at what LIBF has to offer.

Compared to the Open University, we offer flexible start dates, the ability to take exams when it suits you and a future-focused curriculum.

To find out more, take a look at our blog - https://bit.ly/3U5rLrY

We wish you all the best in your search for a course that is right for you!

Best,

Sam

Quick Reply

Latest