The Student Room Group

Oxbridge math

Is Cambridge or Oxford harder to get in to
Reply 1
cambridge for sure. although getting the offer is probably equally difficult at both, getting the required grades in STEP II and STEP III alongside your A-Levels, makes getting into cambridge much more difficult
Reply 2
Original post by aranon
cambridge for sure. although getting the offer is probably equally difficult at both, getting the required grades in STEP II and STEP III alongside your A-Levels, makes getting into cambridge much more difficult

Getting a Cambridge offer is easier as they over-offer by over 2:1, but I agree that making the offer is the hardest part of either application process.
Reply 3
Original post by RichE
Getting a Cambridge offer is easier as they over-offer by over 2:1, but I agree that making the offer is the hardest part of either application process.

Do they give really harsh conditions in their offers?
Reply 4
Original post by yi123456

The offer is made on A-levels and STEP - usually 1,1 in STEP II and III.
Reply 5
Original post by yi123456

If I tell you that 50% of the people who get offers don't meet their offer reqs, what does that tell you? They'll have smashed their A level reqs but the STEP is insanely difficult (trust me, I'm having to prepare for it for my offer from Imperial CS).
Original post by RichE

Making the offer is the easiest part of the Oxford process, its A*A*A, which is very doable for anyone who has passed the MAT and interview save for mitigating circumstances. Its only Cambridge where meeting the offer is hard.
Reply 7
Original post by RichE

50% of the offer holders don't meet their requirements because they messed up the STEP. Grade 2 in one of the papers would be OK but they have to get grade 2 in both papers, which, trust me, is insane! I'm having to do STEP II for Imperial CS and I'm finding it hard enough as it is but it's going OK I think. I'm grinding and hoping.
Reply 8
Original post by vnayak
50% of the offer holders don't meet their requirements because they messed up the STEP. Grade 2 in one of the papers would be OK but they have to get grade 2 in both papers, which, trust me, is insane! I'm having to do STEP II for Imperial CS and I'm finding it hard enough as it is but it's going OK I think. I'm grinding and hoping.

I think you have to get grade 1 in both papers for Cambridge
Original post by vnayak

Just to clarify that it's usually two grade 1's, but a grade 1 is the second highest grade with S being the highest.
Reply 10
Original post by melancollege
Just to clarify that it's usually two grade 1's, but a grade 1 is the second highest grade with S being the highest.

Typo 😂...meant to say grade 1
Reply 11
Original post by lalexm
I think you have to get grade 1 in both papers for Cambridge

it was a typo

Quick Reply

Latest