The Student Room Group

student finance query

(edited 1 month ago)
you can apply for more than £4500, student finance will look at your h=household income and decide how much to give
Reply 2
Original post by okayykayy
you can apply for more than £4500, student finance will look at your h=household income and decide how much to give
the problem is that without including the debt my parents would have enough money to help me a little and according to the student finance calculator, i will only be eligible for around £4500
Original post by 44abbiekey
the problem is that without including the debt my parents would have enough money to help me a little and according to the student finance calculator, i will only be eligible for around £4500

4500 is very low - looking at the student finance calculator your household income would have to be like 65k+ for it to be that low?

and there are some bursary’s available dependent on the course you’re doing, i’m not sure if your university offers these or not
Original post by 44abbiekey
im expecting to start uni in september and im soon to apply for student finance and i was wondering if, in the means test for the maintenance loan, my parents debt would be considered as well as their income?

they will not be able to financially support me at uni and i will likely not have enough money to support myself with a maintenance loan of roughly 4,500£ but due to their income i do not qualify for a bursary from my uni to help cover the costs of accommodation

Debt isn't take into consideration. Still submit household income when you apply for student finance to see what you can get. If you will only be awarded the minimum and your parents won't support you financially, then consider going to a uni where you can live at home or defer a year so that you can work and build up some savings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending