The Student Room Group

3-year Residency Period

Hi, I recently applied for student finance and I was deemed ineligible because I have not been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years up to the start of my academic year(September, 2024). I had been living in Norway since 2021 and moved to the UK in March, 2023, with ilr.

Is there something I can do to change my eligibility or will I have to wait for another 2 years before I can apply for the loan and start uni?
Original post by sarmiel
Hi, I recently applied for student finance and I was deemed ineligible because I have not been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years up to the start of my academic year(September, 2024). I had been living in Norway since 2021 and moved to the UK in March, 2023, with ilr.
Is there something I can do to change my eligibility or will I have to wait for another 2 years before I can apply for the loan and start uni?

Hi there,

To be eligible for support you would need to be ordinarily resident in the UK/EEA for the 3 years prior to your Academic Year. If you only moved to the UK in March 2023 then you'd need to wait until you have 3 years residency in the UK.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,
To be eligible for support you would need to be ordinarily resident in the UK/EEA for the 3 years prior to your Academic Year. If you only moved to the UK in March 2023 then you'd need to wait until you have 3 years residency in the UK.
Thanks, Ross

Thanks for your response.

How is it that some universities award home student status to people like me even though we have not been living in the UK for 3 years prior to the academic year?
Original post by sarmiel
Thanks for your response.
How is it that some universities award home student status to people like me even though we have not been living in the UK for 3 years prior to the academic year?

Hi there,

Universities will have different eligibilities compared to us.

Thanks, Ross
Reply 4
Hi there,
Universities will have different eligibilities compared to us.
Thanks, Ross

I see. Thanks.

What happens if I have been resident, for part of the 3 year period prior to my academic year, in an EEA country, and the other part in the UK? Does that count for something?
Original post by sarmiel
I see. Thanks.
What happens if I have been resident, for part of the 3 year period prior to my academic year, in an EEA country, and the other part in the UK? Does that count for something?

What country were you in?

Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
What country were you in?
Thanks, Ross

Norway
Original post by sarmiel
Norway

Thanks for confirming.

You would need the 3 years residency in the UK.

Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending