The Student Room Group

My lecturer is ignoring me

Why is my lecturer ignoring me? I have 4 lectures and 3 of them likes me because I'm one of the best students but is this lecturer who everyone loves, who is always smiling and is a good teacher who ignores me big time. With other students he's very helpful and kind but when I ask him something he just ignores me, I need it his help with one of my assignments and he just refused to even say that he's busy or something, he just walked away. Last time he asked every student for an opinion on a subject and when it was my turn he just skipped me. He's making eye contact and even smile at me but I need to know if i'm doing good or not because is important for me his feedback. I'm afraid to talk to him as I don't want to get the situation worse but what should I do? Why is he like this?
Reply 1
You have the right to expect your tutor to treat you professionally. If you need help with an assessment, then I suggest that you email the tutor either asking for a tutorial to discuss the assessment or asking any questions that could be dealt with via email. Asking questions on the hoof is not always the best approach, as tutors may have other commitments at that particular moment. Beyond that, I doubt there is anything you can do about this tutor's behaviour unless it breaches professional standards.
Original post by Ally Georgia
Why is my lecturer ignoring me? I have 4 lectures and 3 of them likes me because I'm one of the best students but is this lecturer who everyone loves, who is always smiling and is a good teacher who ignores me big time. With other students he's very helpful and kind but when I ask him something he just ignores me, I need it his help with one of my assignments and he just refused to even say that he's busy or something, he just walked away. Last time he asked every student for an opinion on a subject and when it was my turn he just skipped me. He's making eye contact and even smile at me but I need to know if i'm doing good or not because is important for me his feedback. I'm afraid to talk to him as I don't want to get the situation worse but what should I do? Why is he like this?

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your lecturer. It's harsh to feel ignored, especially when you value their feedback and support. It's hard to say why your lecturer might act this way. It might be worth trying to approach them in a friendly and respectful manner to express your concerns and ask for feedback on your assignments. If you're feeling hesitant, perhaps you could ask one of the other lecturers with whom you have a good rapport for advice on how to handle the situation.

Remember, you deserve to have your questions answered and your work acknowledged. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and seek your support to succeed. I hope it resolves soon. Feel free to update or reach out for anything at all.

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you and must be quite confusing and disorienting at times too. Your tutors help is extremely important to have especially when you are actively seeking for his feedback and input but if you're not receiving this it must be quite stressful.

What I can suggest is maybe trying to email him directly he may be more receptive this way or if you prefer face to face help, I would email him to ask for a 1 to 1 saying "May I have a 1 to 1 with you concerning some help I need for the assignment?" then he can plan out his time in class to help you out.

If this unfortunately doesn't work, I would then go to another lecturer that you have described having a good rapport with and I'm sure they would understand your situation and offer help.

I wish you the best, and don't give up on getting this support. I hope it all works out! Feel free to ask for any more questions or insights.

Kind regards,
Katie (Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest