The Student Room Group

If I don't get the results I wanted, would taking a Gap Year help with my application

Hi Hello. I'm trying to head into Bangor University with a BBB grade (120 Ucas) for Clinical Psychology. Doing Psychology, Sociology, and Media for A levels. But, I have a irrational fear that I won't do well on my exams this year. If, for whatever reason, I don't get the grades I would need to get in, would taking a Gap Year help me for applying for Uni next year? Or would I have to redo the A-Level exams?

I just really wish to get into Bangor. It's one of the Uni's I really wish to go too.
Reply 1
There is nothing stopping you reapplying. however there are some unis who wont accept resits. After results day, you can check to see if Bangor are one of these. you could also look at going to another uni between now and results day that will accept you on lower grades
Original post by borys124
Hi Hello. I'm trying to head into Bangor University with a BBB grade (120 Ucas) for Clinical Psychology. Doing Psychology, Sociology, and Media for A levels. But, I have a irrational fear that I won't do well on my exams this year. If, for whatever reason, I don't get the grades I would need to get in, would taking a Gap Year help me for applying for Uni next year? Or would I have to redo the A-Level exams?
I just really wish to get into Bangor. It's one of the Uni's I really wish to go too.

Hi @borys124

Great to hear you are hoping to come to Bangor University.

Firstly, have some faith in yourself, I'm sure you will do amazing in your A levels :smile:

There are always other options other than a gap year. We can also offer you a foundation year here at Bangor.

Let me know if you have any further questions, here to help :smile:

Sera
Reply 3
Hi Hello! Thank you for replying!!!

I understand, I guess it's just exam stress that's been taking over, alongside other things outside of my control that has been quite unfortunate...

What difference is a Psychology foundation year at Bangor? Are there any big differences, and would it really change anything within the later years?

When Results day comes along, if I don't get the results needed, I would LOVE to participate in a foundation year if I don't get what I need, anything it takes honestly! Thank you!

Also, PS: I really enjoyed the Open day yesterday, It was genuinely one of the best open day's I've been on in a very long while! The place is really pretty, and I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere!
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi @borys124
Great to hear you are hoping to come to Bangor University.
Firstly, have some faith in yourself, I'm sure you will do amazing in your A levels :smile:
There are always other options other than a gap year. We can also offer you a foundation year here at Bangor.
Let me know if you have any further questions, here to help :smile:
Sera

Do you think A-Levels will become gradually redundant, kept mostly through tradition?

A lot of unis seem to be offering this now and dealing with student directly
Original post by borys124
Hi Hello! Thank you for replying!!!
I understand, I guess it's just exam stress that's been taking over, alongside other things outside of my control that has been quite unfortunate...
What difference is a Psychology foundation year at Bangor? Are there any big differences, and would it really change anything within the later years?
When Results day comes along, if I don't get the results needed, I would LOVE to participate in a foundation year if I don't get what I need, anything it takes honestly! Thank you!
Also, PS: I really enjoyed the Open day yesterday, It was genuinely one of the best open day's I've been on in a very long while! The place is really pretty, and I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere!

Hi @borys124

I completely understand :smile:

Psychology with a foundation year means an extra year of study, so you would do a foundation year (year 1) and then enroll onto the 3 year Psych course. Have a look at this link for more information:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/c80f-psychology-with-foundation-year-bsc-hons

It wouldn't effect you at all in the long run :smile:

Ah, that's so nice to hear, really pleased you enjoyed the day. The weather was so lovely wasn't it :smile:

Sera
Reply 6
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi @borys124
I completely understand :smile:
Psychology with a foundation year means an extra year of study, so you would do a foundation year (year 1) and then enroll onto the 3 year Psych course. Have a look at this link for more information:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/c80f-psychology-with-foundation-year-bsc-hons
It wouldn't effect you at all in the long run :smile:
Ah, that's so nice to hear, really pleased you enjoyed the day. The weather was so lovely wasn't it :smile:
Sera
Thank you!!!

And of course, the weather was amazing.

Sorry for the long reply, I've been busy with alot of stuff (Exams and well, so much stuff personally-), and has been slightly overwhelming with coursework and exams. I hope I'll be able to do enough to get in despite my unluckiness with life at the moment. Plus, a Foundation year means I'll spend an extra year at Bangor, and that honestly doesn't sound half bad considering how pretty the place is! And also would help clear my mind from all those exams...

When A Level Results come out, I hope I'll be able to preform well enough to get in. I really liked the Psychology teachers, they were super nice and I really liked them all. I really hope I'd be able to meet and talk with them again.

If I have any other questions, I'll ask them, but at the moment, I don't have any. I hope you have a good day, Sera!

Quick Reply

Latest