The Student Room Group

Further Maths or Physics?

I'm need to choose at least 4 A-levels for my school, and I've already picked Maths, Biology, and Chemistry. Now I'm torn between choosing physics or further maths for my final subject as I enjoy both of these. If anyone has any idea which one would be better (taking into account my other subject choices), please let me know. Any advice would be appreciated <3
Do you have any idea what degree subject you might do?

No-one needs 4 A levels, despite what you school might tell you.
If they insist, then think about doing FM even if its only for for one year to get an AS - this is still useful for applying to STEM courses and wouldn't be as much of a stretch as Physics.
Reply 2
I think you should go for further maths, it can help you with maths as well since it's still a part of maths and parts will link in - doing bio chem maths and physics on top will be incredibly tough and time consuming, I personally find physics a level WAY harder than anything I've ever done before and I got a 9 in the gcse. Thinking ab uni choices depends on what u apply for ofc but for some courses further maths can make the difference because a lot of top unis can be like "recommended further maths" when in reality that just means further maths is required unless ur school doesn't offer it.
Original post by Riku_
I'm need to choose at least 4 A-levels for my school, and I've already picked Maths, Biology, and Chemistry. Now I'm torn between choosing physics or further maths for my final subject as I enjoy both of these. If anyone has any idea which one would be better (taking into account my other subject choices), please let me know. Any advice would be appreciated <3

Hi @Riku_,

Have you considered what course you would like to take for university? Ultimately you should choose your fourth around your uni course. But in my opinion, I think Further Maths would be the better option as you're already taking maths as a subject, and it would be a bit more easier for you to manage in terms of subject relativity.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest