The Student Room Group

Moving out for 2nd year after commuting

Although I’ve enjoyed first year and made plenty of friends, I feel like I’m missing out on the uni experience by staying at home. Im contemplating trying to find people that are looking for an extra roommate so I can move out for second year, because I feel like it’ll be more of the “uni experience” than staying at home. Does anyone have any opinions about missing out by staying at home? I’m undecided because obviously I’d be spending a lot more money on rent than I do on petrol/parking… does it make that big of a difference to your experience? :smile:
Original post by IdkOklol
Although I’ve enjoyed first year and made plenty of friends, I feel like I’m missing out on the uni experience by staying at home. Im contemplating trying to find people that are looking for an extra roommate so I can move out for second year, because I feel like it’ll be more of the “uni experience” than staying at home. Does anyone have any opinions about missing out by staying at home? I’m undecided because obviously I’d be spending a lot more money on rent than I do on petrol/parking… does it make that big of a difference to your experience? :smile:

Hi there,

This is a decision that lots of people get stuck on! I am not a commuter student, however I know lots of people that are and there are pros and cons to both living at home and living in halls/a uni house.

My biggest piece of advice is that you only go to Uni once so it's worth thinking about what you want to get out of University and this can look different for everyone! If you are someone who likes going out or being sociable and you feel like you have missed out on this, it may be worth looking into living nearer to your uni for this year. If you would rather save some money which is understandable with how expensive things are these days, and you are less bothered about living with people at uni, then it might be better to stay at home.

I would say that I have found living in halls and a uni house to be lots of fun and I am glad that I did it. I think I've learnt lots of new things about myself and living independently gives you a lot more freedom. I've also enjoyed learning to cook more for myself which I've started to enjoy. I also liked that I was able to go out whenever as there was always someone around who wanted to do something and I also lived in town which meant I was never really bored.

However, this doesn't mean that you would miss out living at home. There are still loads of opportunities to go out and meet your friends and some of my closest friends have lived at home for the two years I've been at uni and we made friends through my course and I wouldn't say that they've missed out at all. Living at home is great to save money and it can be nice to have that home environment so it's really up to what you prefer.

How have you found it at home this year? I think if you re considering moving out you must have felt like you were missing out a little bit so it might be fun to move out this year! You can always move back home for your third year or if you do a placement! Maybe ask around your friends to see if anyone is looking for a room mate, or ask on Facebook?

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,
This is a decision that lots of people get stuck on! I am not a commuter student, however I know lots of people that are and there are pros and cons to both living at home and living in halls/a uni house.
My biggest piece of advice is that you only go to Uni once so it's worth thinking about what you want to get out of University and this can look different for everyone! If you are someone who likes going out or being sociable and you feel like you have missed out on this, it may be worth looking into living nearer to your uni for this year. If you would rather save some money which is understandable with how expensive things are these days, and you are less bothered about living with people at uni, then it might be better to stay at home.
I would say that I have found living in halls and a uni house to be lots of fun and I am glad that I did it. I think I've learnt lots of new things about myself and living independently gives you a lot more freedom. I've also enjoyed learning to cook more for myself which I've started to enjoy. I also liked that I was able to go out whenever as there was always someone around who wanted to do something and I also lived in town which meant I was never really bored.
However, this doesn't mean that you would miss out living at home. There are still loads of opportunities to go out and meet your friends and some of my closest friends have lived at home for the two years I've been at uni and we made friends through my course and I wouldn't say that they've missed out at all. Living at home is great to save money and it can be nice to have that home environment so it's really up to what you prefer.
How have you found it at home this year? I think if you re considering moving out you must have felt like you were missing out a little bit so it might be fun to move out this year! You can always move back home for your third year or if you do a placement! Maybe ask around your friends to see if anyone is looking for a room mate, or ask on Facebook?
I hope some of this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I’m going to start looking around on Facebook and that to figure out what options I have and go from there 🙂 the social life is a big aspect - I’ve not done anything exciting this year and the only time I went out was once during freshers.. but also things like gaps in my timetable, commuting is difficult in that regard because if I have a three hour gap, by the time I go home, I’d have to come back.. so definitely considering it atm, just need to weigh up the pros and cons 🙂

Hi there,

This is a decision that many students think about and are unsure of what to do. Although I have not commuted throughout my time at university I think that there are pros and cons to both commuting from home and staying in student accommodation.

From what my commuter friends have said commuting can be tiring and can make the days even longer especially if you are in university for a 9am lecture but also for lecture which finish late in the evening as well. But commuting tends to be less expensive than staying in student accommodation.

Although with that being said staying in student accommodation with other students can be a great experience as it teaches you different life skills such as cooking, cleaning and living with people who maybe tricky to get along with. It also gives you the independence which you don't quite get from living at home. In my experience of living in student accommodation I have really enjoyed learning how to cook but also having the freedom and independence of living alone. With that being said, I have found especially this year that living in student accommodation can be quite pricey.

I would say defiantly think about what you would like to get from the 'uni experience' and go with which option you think will suit you the most. I would suggest looking at Facebook chats and see if people need an extra room mate if you are deciding to move into student accommodation think about the amount which you are happy to spend on accommodation and what you can afford as sometimes this can help to make the decision for you.

I hope this helps you with you decision 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Hi @IdkOklol

This is exactly what I did during my degree, I lived at home for the first 2 years (mainly as it was during covid and the university was a commutable distance for me). In year 3 &4, I moved out and I've definitely valued the independence, especially now I'm in my mid-twenties I've found it really good!

Moving out definitely adds a bit more stress - you suddenly have to think about budgeting, cleaning, shopping etc which can be a lot at once! I found that making sure you live with the right people really helps to take the burden away from this!
However, I have found it really fun living away, it's made meeting my friends in town much easier as it's now walking distance and means you can socialize a bit more easily!

It's really up to you but if it is something you can afford and you find the right people, I'd recommend trying it for a year!

I hope this helps,
-Rebecca, UCLan

Hi there!

I would say that both commuting and living in halls have their pros and cons. As you mentioned it would require you to reallocate your expenses.

In terms of giving you a more authentic uni experience, I would say living in halls has an edge over commuting. This could be both good and bad. This is because while you do get to interact more with your mates and it makes it easier to attend social and on-campus activities, you could also end up having a lot of responsibilities on yourself, like doing your laundry, doing your groceries and preparing your meals. All these are things that if you are not used to doing by yourself could come as a surprise and take time for you to get a handle on. I do not think it is a bad thing as one aspect of university is that it teaches you to be responsible for yourself. I feel it is important to experience that, but it is still something to consider if you are averse to it.

You could also consider the people you would be living with. Oftentimes you may not know the people you live with and know what their habits are, in terms of cleanliness, cooking, noise etc, so it could also come as an annoying shock. Even in cases where you live with friends tensions could still arise over small but repeated things, which could affect your friendship. This could also offer a learning opportunity in dealing with annoying people and situations.

Staying closer to uni could also reduce the stress of commuting for you and may make it easier for you to spend time in the library studying, as someone who often pulls long hours in the library I can definitely say that it is helpful to know I don't have to take a long commute back home when I am already so tired.

Overall, I would say go for it as it is a new experience and something to challenge yourself, but also consider all the factors and take note of what is important to you. Goodluck with your second year!

Best wishes,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador,
Glory.
Worthwhile exploring! You don't know until you try. But it is really the luck of the draw whether you find nice flatmates. Some can really be troublesome and even not pay rent or bills! Good luck!

@IdkOklol

It’s great to be able to save money and to enjoy home comforts, but in terms of going forward as a person, living with people aside from family does help you get an idea of some of your own faults and the pros and cons of living with strangers or friends. It helps you become more responsible and gives you a chance to improve your people skills and to prepare you better for life post uni, where you may end up living with strangers.

Ideally, as has previously been said, it is best to live with friends as this tends to create a more positive, upbeat and relaxed atmosphere, whereas with strangers you don’t whether you are going to get on well or not. It can be very isolating, if you don’t get on well with your other housemates. The atmosphere can become very negative, quickly but worst comes to worst you could always move back home for third year.

It’s a risk, but you might regret not giving it a go this year. It might be too risky to do in third year, when you need a place where you are not going to be stressed or unable to focus on work. So, if you do decide to move out, do your research. Try and get to meet the housemates you will be sharing with beforehand. Try and find out a little a bit about them so you can begin to gauge whether you have some things in common that might help you all bond. Remember to think about dynamics. Do you want to share with all guys or all females or a mix? Do you want to live with people who study different subjects or a similar one to yourself? Are they planning to have people round a lot and parties or are they looking for a quiet housemate? Do they plan to have a rota for cleaning or are they not too fussed about who and how the place stays clean? What is your messiness threshold and are they the same? There is a lot to think about, but if you move in with people as prepared as you can be, then you hopefully you will be able to have a positive experience overall.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest