The Student Room Group

Maths/FM and Medicine

https://amsp.org.uk/medicine-entry-summary/

For those doing Medicine who have chosen A-Levels Bio Chem Maths and FM I found this link which summarises the 2024 Maths/FM requirements for Medicine.

I do have a question - is there a point applying to schools who consider maths and fm one a level? Would we then be at a disadvantage if we did '3 a levels' without an EPQ? Or will they just not care?
Reply 1
Tagging @KitCat13 `and @sara572729 as ik you both take the same options
Original post by study23!

For those doing Medicine who have chosen A-Levels Bio Chem Maths and FM I found this link which summarises the 2024 Maths/FM requirements for Medicine.

I do have a question - is there a point applying to schools who consider maths and fm one a level? Would we then be at a disadvantage if we did '3 a levels' without an EPQ? Or will they just not care?

It shouldn't be a disadvantage as you're doing two other A-levels. It would only be a problem if e.g. you were doing chem/maths/FM or bio/maths/FM only.

Of course spreading yourself more thinly over 4 subjects for no benefit may be a risk as you might get worse grades across the board than what you need for medicine. So you'd probably be better off dropping FM as it confers no benefit but adds that risk (you also won't be using any of the material from FM afterwards in the degree or as a doctor as far as I'm aware).
(edited 1 month ago)

Thanks for the link looks super useful and am gonna do some reading of it at a later date!

I haven't heard too much about schools considering them one a-level, but I'm pretty sure even if they do and you're taking bio and chem alongside, there shouldn't be an issue. In fact I think it's quite rare for unis to give offers which decide on the 4th a level - lots of people at my school in Y13 have been saying they're getting offers of AAAE for example because the university literally doesn't care about it. However agreed that if you're going down to 3 (because realistically that's all you need to do and is probably the smartest option), maths and further maths along with a science may not be best. EPQ's kinda like the 4th a level where some unis don't care and its pretty rare you get a conditional with it

I'm not sure if you're talking about this in the perspective of going to choose your a level subjects (I seem to recall you possibly doing GCSE's... Please correct me if I'm wrong!) or applying to uni, but either way I hope this sheds some light on the situation
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
It shouldn't be a disadvantage as you're doing two other A-levels. It would only be a problem if e.g. you were doing chem/maths/FM or bio/maths/FM only.
Of course spreading yourself more thinly over 4 subjects for no benefit may be a risk as you might get worse grades across the board than what you need for medicine. So you'd probably be better off dropping FM as it confers no benefit but adds that risk (you also won't be using any of the material from FM afterwards in the degree or as a doctor as far as I'm aware).

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by KitCat13
Thanks for the link looks super useful and am gonna do some reading of it at a later date!
I haven't heard too much about schools considering them one a-level, but I'm pretty sure even if they do and you're taking bio and chem alongside, there shouldn't be an issue. In fact I think it's quite rare for unis to give offers which decide on the 4th a level - lots of people at my school in Y13 have been saying they're getting offers of AAAE for example because the university literally doesn't care about it. However agreed that if you're going down to 3 (because realistically that's all you need to do and is probably the smartest option), maths and further maths along with a science may not be best. EPQ's kinda like the 4th a level where some unis don't care and its pretty rare you get a conditional with it
I'm not sure if you're talking about this in the perspective of going to choose your a level subjects (I seem to recall you possibly doing GCSE's... Please correct me if I'm wrong!) or applying to uni, but either way I hope this sheds some light on the situation

Thanks, yeah I meant in applying to Uni (October is creeping around too fast 😭).

It kind of freaked me out since I’d heard some schools counting them as one before but hadn’t expected that many, and when choosing a levels I was between maths and medicine.

But thanks for the further advice!
Tagging @KitCat13 `and @sara572729 as ik you both take the same options

thanks for tagging me , i didnt know that unis did that. thats acc soooooo annoying though bc FM is like loads more work and the content is nothing u learn in maths like most of it is completely different
Reply 7
Original post by sara572729
thanks for tagging me , i didnt know that unis did that. thats acc soooooo annoying though bc FM is like loads more work and the content is nothing u learn in maths like most of it is completely different

Ikr! The a level was literally designed for you to know all of maths first which is already considered one of the hardest a levels, to do an advanced version of it! It’s not just ‘more maths’ it’s harder and not the same 😭
Ikr! The a level was literally designed for you to know all of maths first which is already considered one of the hardest a levels, to do an advanced version of it! It’s not just ‘more maths’ it’s harder and not the same 😭

fr so annoying of them🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending