The Student Room Group

Residency/Student Finance question

Hello,

So I am looking to apply for a course starting in September 2025. I am a UK national and after spending 10 years living abroad, I moved back to the UK to take care of my grandmother and started working here at the end of October 2022, when I was 19. The eligibility criteria for student loans says that I need to have lived here for 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of my course, but given I miss this date by only a few weeks, is it possible that an exception could be made? I didn't move here with the intention to study (hence the poor timing) and have been working since I got here. I've always had a strong connection to the UK, having spent summer holidays here frequently, and always intended on returning.

Many thanks!
Hi there. Where were you living when you left the UK, was this in the EU or elsewhere? Thanks, David
Reply 2
Original post by David SLC
Hi there. Where were you living when you left the UK, was this in the EU or elsewhere? Thanks, David

Hi David - thanks for responding, I was living in Israel, so not the EU.

Thanks
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by daffodils12
Hi David - thanks for reaching out, I was living in Israel, so not the EU.
Thanks

Hi there,

The residency rules apply to 24/25. As regulations and eligibility can change on a year to year basis there we're not aware yet of rules regarding 25/26 (which you'd be applying for). The 1st of September is the standard 3 year residency rules. So currently you would need to hold this to be eligible for the full funding. Again, regulations may change. If not, then it would either be starting the course in January 2026 (if the course has this option or the spring of 2026) or waiting till September 2026. Unless you have evidence (visa, temporary contract) to confirm your time in Israel was temporary for the assessors to review - which with 10 years I appreciate may not something you're able to do. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending