The Student Room Group

Old criminal convictions ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megladon99
A little update - I didn’t realise that because I have a foster son my advanced DBS is all in order and the universities have all been very good about it I had a zoom call today and they wanted to discuss how I felt about my domestic violence past and how I interacted with police officers now and if my experience with them left me with any fears or concerns towards working with them. They were more concerned with my mental health and wellbeing and emotions than my capabilities.

Good I'm glad they you were able to address it with them and they saw past it.

I was going to say before but forgot, I also had to get a DBS/Disclosure when a family member fell ill and I had to apply for financial and care guardianship (I think a standard rather than enhanced or basic) but tbh my long past record is awful in general and I was really worried, but it barely raised a few questions, they totally took into account it was very old and not entirely related stuff.
Original post by StriderHort
C'mon you can't hit cops or really anyone without consequence, meltdown or no. Considering the result was a conditional discharge and a small fine rather than the max year in prison I think it's obvious they took the circumstances heavily into account. You must be aware they're all pretty zero tolerance about attacks on emergency & state workers these days?

If a group of people suddenly rushed you, threw you to the ground and pinned you, responding by hitting or shoving them with your bare hands seems like a pretty normal and not unreasonable reaction to me.
Original post by anarchism101
If a group of people suddenly rushed you, threw you to the ground and pinned you, responding by hitting or shoving them with your bare hands seems like a pretty normal and not unreasonable reaction to me.

Assault and resisting arrest are both well known crimes. (If anything I think hitting an emergency worker raises the crime to aggravated assault, its taken v seriously)

Honestly seems a bit preposterous to assume blanket immunity and 0 consequence for attacking a cop because you were having a meltdown. The police officers have a right to justice and the protection of law just as much as you and me which you can't just blithely decide to ignore. The correct place for mitigation to be taken into account is a court, not the police station & not the CPS/PF, and that's what happened, the circumstances were heavily takin into consideration by the court. There seems no doubt of guilt, they didn't get a year in jail and they didn't get dragged into the dog kennels and beaten to a pulp, they got a discharge and £100 fine, we fine people £100 for parking in the wrong place... but you still feel this is wildly disproportionate?

Like if during an arrest scuffle an officer gets a tooth knocked out, or otherwise harmed you're going to claim its a travesty of justice if they're allowed to press charges because you were scared and having a bad day?

I kind of get the feeling if one of those officers was accused of using inappropriate force in the heat of the arrest you'd be screaming for their sacking and prosecution, am I wrong?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by StriderHort
Assault and resisting arrest are both well known crimes. (If anything I think hitting an emergency worker raises the crime to aggravated assault, its taken v seriously)
Honestly seems a bit preposterous to assume blanket immunity and 0 consequence for attacking a cop because you were having a meltdown. The police officers have a right to justice and the protection of law just as much as you and me which you can't just blithely decide to ignore. The correct place for mitigation to be taken into account is a court, not the police station & not the CPS/PF, and that's what happened, the circumstances were heavily takin into consideration by the court. There seems no doubt of guilt, they didn't get a year in jail and they didn't get dragged into the dog kennels and beaten to a pulp, they got a discharge and £100 fine, we fine people £100 for parking in the wrong place... but you still feel this is wildly disproportionate?
Like if during an arrest scuffle an officer gets a tooth knocked out, or otherwise harmed you're going to claim its a travesty of justice if they're allowed to press charges because you were scared and having a bad day?
I kind of get the feeling if one of those officers was accused of using inappropriate force in the heat of the arrest you'd be screaming for their sacking and prosecution, am I wrong?

I'm aware of what the law currently is, I'm saying I think it's wrong.

The cop wasn't attacked, the cop was the attacker. Unless the OP is omitting something, the cops were the first to employ force in the situation, and OP only began hitting them in reaction. By the sound of things, they acted as they did because they thought OP had a weapon, and so believed they were acting pre-emptively to prevent OP doing something violent and/or dangerous. An honest, understandable mistake, I'm not going to assume any dishonest or malicious motivation on their part. But still a mistake. When you make a judgement call like that, you should accept the risk that, if you misjudged things, the person on the other end might well perceive it as an attack for no good reason and respond accordingly.

Cops are given legal powers to exercise coercive force in circumstances which would be illegal for the average person, and indeed for the most part for other emergency service workers (though not for a few other professions like soldiers and prison guards). If you sign up for such an office of your own free will, you should accept that there are responsibilities and risks that come with exercising that power. If you misuse it, even through a sincere and honest mistake, don't expect special protection from proportionate consequences. If you're uncomfortable taking on that kind of responsibility and risk, don't be a cop.
Reply 24
Original post by anarchism101

The day I did it a brand new law was released that a charge had to be filed if an emergency worker is injured. Prison was never an option. Considering 4 of them jumped on me when I reached for an inhaler because they assumed I was carrying a weapon. Pure racism. They kicked me repeatedly while I was on the ground and cracked my wrist bone. Me pushing them and slapping his vest was nothing compared to what they did to me. They assumed because of who my abusive drug dealing boyfriend was a certain way I was too. Being hit daily and then being grabbed by more big men I was going to react

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending