The Student Room Group

Y12 dilema (help!)

Hi,

So basically I was a very good student and was always attaining high grades, when y11 started I stopped trying and managed to get high passes (6/7) in my subjects, not something I’m proud of.
However, I started y12 and was still sloppy and have only started to get back on track in the past two months.

I have gone from Failing all my subjects to ABB in business bio and psych. I want to do med and have mocks soon and I’m really worried that even if I do well in mocks that my teachers may not move up my grades. Can anyone give me any tips in convincing teachers and any tips for a last push to receive A in bio/psych.

Thanks
Reply 1
They may not move up your grades because you haven't been getting stellar marks all year; as you already know predicted grades are based on what you have done previously in school/class - now obviously there are many people who go from C/Ds to straight As in their final papers (very hard but attainable) so I'd say just do your absolute best, grind revision and do anything necessary to prove your teachers wrong. I'd say bio business and psych are all very content heavy subjects so try to find revision methods that work best for you/what enables you to memorise and understand the most. Not sure if this has been helpful advice :// but you're not alone in this, keep working and you won't regret it. best of luckkkkk
Reply 2
Original post by revadz9
Hi,
So basically I was a very good student and was always attaining high grades, when y11 started I stopped trying and managed to get high passes (6/7) in my subjects, not something I’m proud of.
However, I started y12 and was still sloppy and have only started to get back on track in the past two months.
I have gone from Failing all my subjects to ABB in business bio and psych. I want to do med and have mocks soon and I’m really worried that even if I do well in mocks that my teachers may not move up my grades. Can anyone give me any tips in convincing teachers and any tips for a last push to receive A in bio/psych.
Thanks

If you work hard for you upcoming end of year mocks, you have the potential of going up a grade in each subject, so could end up with A*AA. Even if you don’t quite get that in your mocks, you might still be predicted that for UCAS. Your bigger issue though if you want to do med, is that you don’t have chemistry.
Original post by revadz9
Hi,
Thanks

Hi i was in a similar place in y12 in one of my subjects where i had only gotten Bs and lower until i got an A in the mock and they gave me that for the predicted grade - now I have 2 offers for medicine so I would say ;

If you get high grades in the mocks - (and this is necessary or nothing you say will convince them) you need to really emphasise that the mocks are the most accurate representation of the real a levels not the little tests you’ve done beforehand - maybe to add to this make a detailed plan on how you plan to sustain the high grades you got in the mock and how you have learnt from the mistakes you previously made (tailor this to your subjects) and don’t take no for an answer:smile:
Original post by lalexm
If you work hard for you upcoming end of year mocks, you have the potential of going up a grade in each subject, so could end up with A*AA. Even if you don’t quite get that in your mocks, you might still be predicted that for UCAS. Your bigger issue though if you want to do med, is that you don’t have chemistry.

10+ Med Schools take other A levels instead of Chem. All the ones I intend to apply to will accept me so on that side of things I am fine.
Original post by based_J
They may not move up your grades because you haven't been getting stellar marks all year; as you already know predicted grades are based on what you have done previously in school/class - now obviously there are many people who go from C/Ds to straight As in their final papers (very hard but attainable) so I'd say just do your absolute best, grind revision and do anything necessary to prove your teachers wrong. I'd say bio business and psych are all very content heavy subjects so try to find revision methods that work best for you/what enables you to memorise and understand the most. Not sure if this has been helpful advice :// but you're not alone in this, keep working and you won't regret it. best of luckkkkk

Thanks:smile: and yes all my subjects are really content heavy and I’m just starting to get that when I started revising but in my most recent buisness mock I got an A one mark of A* so the revision is defo working😂
Original post by eallistar
Hi i was in a similar place in y12 in one of my subjects where i had only gotten Bs and lower until i got an A in the mock and they gave me that for the predicted grade - now I have 2 offers for medicine so I would say ;
If you get high grades in the mocks - (and this is necessary or nothing you say will convince them) you need to really emphasise that the mocks are the most accurate representation of the real a levels not the little tests you’ve done beforehand - maybe to add to this make a detailed plan on how you plan to sustain the high grades you got in the mock and how you have learnt from the mistakes you previously made (tailor this to your subjects) and don’t take no for an answer:smile:

Thanks:smile: I spoke to an y13 in my Sixthform and they allowed to move his grade to an A when he received D so I do think they are more lenient as long as I can convince them!

Quick Reply

Latest