The Student Room Group

how should i respond to racial slurs?

Was in istanbul and some street vendor used a racial slur on me. He had like 2 people laughing with him.

Whats a good come back?

I thought of "who lost the first world war" , but that was after i left the scene. Would that trigger them if i said it to him?
turkey is like #2 on the list of countries you can easily insult the entire population of with a single word

im sure you can figure it out
Reply 2
It sounds like you're going to go back and find this guy just to insult him, and don't you see how hypocritical that is?

If you're going to say anything, you tell someone at the time what they are saying is wrong. However, this is in the past; move on.
Original post by Surnia
It sounds like you're going to go back and find this guy just to insult him, and don't you see how hypocritical that is?
If you're going to say anything, you tell someone at the time what they are saying is wrong. However, this is in the past; move on.

no but i feel like i need to prepare an itinerary of insults for the locals whenever i travel abroad just in case such things happen again.

"If you're going to say anything, you tell someone at the time what they are saying is wrong"
oh come on, no one does that...
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cyxstudio
no but i feel like i need to prepare an itinerary of insults for the locals whenever i travel abroad just in case such things happen again.
"If you're going to say anything, you tell someone at the time what they are saying is wrong"
oh come on, no one does that...

I do, when I've had racist and misogynistic comments made to me at football games, and im white. But if you want to escalate things into a slanging match with the locals and risk it getting physical, crack on...
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by HoldThisL
turkey is like #2 on the list of countries you can easily insult the entire population of with a single word
im sure you can figure it out

i asked my muslim friend he said calling them arab or claiming ataturk is a greek and the word 'constantinople' will get you in trouble.

i'll write this down somewhere in my mini notebook
(edited 1 month ago)
If you are trying to get one over on a street vendor of all people, then you've already taken the L.

Their entire patter is designed to get you engaging with them, and yes, if you're not looking like a customer they will often turn unpleasant.
See also "I'll batter that bouncer if I ever see him again now that I'm back home safe"
Original post by StriderHort
See also "I'll batter that bouncer if I ever see him again now that I'm back home safe"

Only in this case we've got a book of witty retorts to draw upon.
Original post by cyxstudio
Was in istanbul and some street vendor used a racial slur on me. He had like 2 people laughing with him.
Whats a good come back?
I thought of "who lost the first world war" , but that was after i left the scene. Would that trigger them if i said it to him?

Responding with wit rather than aggression is commendable. However, it's crucial to prioritize safety and de-escalation. Consider calmly asserting your dignity without escalating tensions. Retaliating with historical references might not effectively address the issue and could further provoke. Focus on self-respect and defusing the situation peacefully.
just call em ugly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending