The Student Room Group

If my assignment is more than two weeks late will I fail?

I have been sick and haven't submitted an assessment (worth all marks of the module). I will be submitting it on Monday 22nd. Deadline for other students was 22 of last month and my deadline (due to Sora was a week after) but I will be submitting it on Monday 😔 I have submitted an EC form though but I feel like they won't accept it as its too late
Original post by Anonymous
I have been sick and haven't submitted an assessment (worth all marks of the module). I will be submitting it on Monday 22nd. Deadline for other students was 22 of last month and my deadline (due to Sora was a week after) but I will be submitting it on Monday 😔 I have submitted an EC form though but I feel like they won't accept it as its too late

What's Sora?

Each university has a different policy regarding late penalties so it's worth checking it out how it works at your university. However, I can tell you that it's very common for assignments to be automatically awarded a 0 after a week's delay...

What EC form did you submit? Was it self-certified or did you provide any evidence like a doctor's note?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
What's Sora?
Each university has a different policy regarding late penalties so it's worth checking it out how it works at your university. However, I can tell you that it's very common for assignments to be automatically awarded a 0 after a week's delay...
What EC form did you submit? Was it self-certified or did you provide any evidence like a doctor's note?

Summary of reasonable adjustments means you get one week extension on deadlines bcz of an illness etc throughout your course.
I submitted an EC related to my illness and I will be submitting a doctors letter as evidence. (Evidences can be submitted up to 4 weeks after submitting EC form so I have time for that). But I’m just too worried as this assessment is 100% of module mark so if they don’t accept I’ll fail and if I fail then I fail whole course😞
Summary of reasonable adjustments means you get one week extension on deadlines bcz of an illness etc throughout your course.
I submitted an EC related to my illness and I will be submitting a doctors letter as evidence. (Evidences can be submitted up to 4 weeks after submitting EC form so I have time for that). But I’m just too worried as this assessment is 100% of module mark so if they don’t accept I’ll fail and if I fail then I fail whole course😞

Sorry to hear this. But, you have a doctor's note so that's something. In case that doesn't work, does your course allow for retakes?

HI there,

It's good that you have submitted an EC and you have evidence, each university is different so your policy may differ in terms of whether this is allowed.

I would get in contact with your university wellbeing team and see if they can help you in any way, or also you could contact your university help team as they may be able to update you on the progress of your EC and if it has been accepted or how long it will take to find out.

It's also worth getting in contact with your tutor and see if they can help you as they may also know the policy about late submissions.

Sometimes the submission is capped at 40% and sometimes you can't submit late but it is different for everyone. You may also get a chance to resubmit during the resit period over the summer so bear this in mind of you are thinking of booking a holiday etc.

I hope some of this helps and it gets sorted for you,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
HI there,
It's good that you have submitted an EC and you have evidence, each university is different so your policy may differ in terms of whether this is allowed.
I would get in contact with your university wellbeing team and see if they can help you in any way, or also you could contact your university help team as they may be able to update you on the progress of your EC and if it has been accepted or how long it will take to find out.
It's also worth getting in contact with your tutor and see if they can help you as they may also know the policy about late submissions.
Sometimes the submission is capped at 40% and sometimes you can't submit late but it is different for everyone. You may also get a chance to resubmit during the resit period over the summer so bear this in mind of you are thinking of booking a holiday etc.
I hope some of this helps and it gets sorted for you,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
So it was a lab book that I needed to hand in. When I went to hand it in late to the module lead she said that she will keep it but they won’t mark it if my EC won’t be approved. Also she said that when most of the work was done in the lab then why it took me so long to hand it in they don’t understand this. So I’m a bit afraid what if they think that whatever the work I have done outside the lab is cheating ☹️ that’s why it took me so long!!
Suppose my EC is not approve will I fail or will I be allowed a second attempt. As if you fail eg a MCQ exam or don’t attend it you still get a second chance to resit it although marks are capped at 50% but I’m afraid if the similar will be allowed for the lab book or if they don’t accept my EC they won’t mark it and I’ll get a zero and if I get a zero I fail this module and if I fail this module I’ll fail the whole course :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
Sorry to hear this. But, you have a doctor's note so that's something. In case that doesn't work, does your course allow for retakes?

For MCQ exams yes for lab books not really sure :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest