The Student Room Group

Disabilities

Hi. I am applying for a job as Learning Support Coordinator to support disabled students. Could you please send me information about the process a student would need to go through if they wanted an EHC needs assessment? Would they go through the university or through the local authority? Are international students entitled to an EHC needs assessment?
Thank you for your assistance.
Regards
Olivia James
Original post by LivyJames
Hi. I am applying for a job as Learning Support Coordinator to support disabled students. Could you please send me information about the process a student would need to go through if they wanted an EHC needs assessment? Would they go through the university or through the local authority? Are international students entitled to an EHC needs assessment?
Thank you for your assistance.
Regards
Olivia James
EHCPs are done by local authorities and are not used at universities
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
EHCPs are done by local authorities and are not used at universities

Goodness, thank you. Lucky you got back to me.
Reply 3
Original post by LivyJames
Goodness, thank you. Lucky you got back to me.

Hi again. I'm terribly lost now. I'm supposed to "tell [the interviewer] about [my] knowledge and understanding of the processes of education based disability support within the context of UK Equality legislation and Data protection guidance. Do you know where I could find this information?
Hi, as the parent of a disabled student this post makes me a bit concerned. I know you may mean well and want to support students with disabilities, but the hurdles they have already had to jump through just to get to university are huge. There’s really very little wiggle room for mistakes.

In order to support disabled students well at this level you really should already know where to find this information yourself.

I’m encouraged that you want to support young people like my daughter, but perhaps you need to find a job at a lower level first and work up to this.

All the best.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, as the parent of a disabled student this post makes me a bit concerned. I know you may mean well and want to support students with disabilities, but the hurdles they have already had to jump through just to get to university are huge. There’s really very little wiggle room for mistakes.
In order to support disabled students well at this level you really should already know where to find this information yourself.
I’m encouraged that you want to support young people like my daughter, but perhaps you need to find a job at a lower level first and work up to this.
All the best.

If the applicant has been invited to interview then the employer has already sifted out the unsuitable applicants and those without potential.

The OP sounds keen as mustard to work in this type of role. They are doing their best to improve their knowledge and prepare fully for their interview. It doesn't sound like a senior or management role either.

If applicants don't show competence at the interview, they don't get the job. We have no idea of their previous employment and the transferable skills, experience, personal qualities, and qualifications they can bring to the role.

To the OP, I don't know the answer to your question so hopefully someone can give you pointers to help you with your research.

My advice would be to ignore the previous advice to self exclude yourself from this role.
All the best.

I've also been on different questions where this person has been spreading false information about the support that can be given or how to get that support so I totally understand you.
As a disabled student it is hard enough to navigate process and get support and having mis information only just makes this whole process harder
I typed this into google "can a university student have an ehcp"
Without clicking a link it already provided a result
Reply 8
All the best.

Hi. I understand you completely. I wouldn't want someone who didn't know anything helping someone out. I most probably won't be successful at any job application of that level. That's the point of job applications isn't it? All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending